Blue Badge

JaxMattr

Apr 20, 2023
Norwich
Hi everyone
Need some advice and suggestions .
I recently had Mums application for a Blue Badge refused .
The reason given was not enough supporting information re Mums diagnosis.

Ok now I don’t know about anyone else.
Mum was diagnosed over 4/5 yrs ago. (We were on a 20 minute repeat cycle back then, now we are on a 2 minute repeat cycle) once she had diagnosis we’ve pretty much been left to it. It’s only because I’m a parent to two Autistic boys I’m familiar with the whole system of applying for things and researching and being patient we’ve achieved what we have achieved.

Ok I digress,
Mum is wobbly on her feet. Get a lot of leg pain resulting from horrendous varicose veins and gout. (When the gout rages!)
She has no real idea where she is generally, or who people are. Totally time blind. She can get really anxious and occasionally looses sense of social boundaries (social distancing and masks, and the whole impact of covid was horrible for all of us, mum deteriorated at a faster pace.)
Now I put all this , her meds list. The fact she needs physical support to walk to be guided. And to keep her safe. Put all her medical conditions.

What else can I put. Dad had to use a wheelchair yesterday at the hospital because the car park is way too far from any of the clinics for her to walk to. She had her veins scanned.

I’ve contacted the GP surgery explained the problem but no suprise 6 weeks later I’ve not heard anything (yes I’ve got power of Attorney. We sorted all that quite early)

Is there any keywords or terminology I may have missed. And no we don’t have a recent medical letter from the consultant who diagnosed her. She’s not seen him since diagnosis. (We do book her in with GP surgery prob once a year to discuss anything that’s altered generally anything urgent we get her seen asap.)

Oh and Surgery will want paying if they do decide to give us any new letters.

Would appreciate any input from my fellow Alzheimer warriors.

Thanks in advance.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I applied for mums many years ago. As far as I can remember it was a matter of staying she couldn't walk very far and was wobbly. Sorry can't help much.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I got a blue badge for my mother who had vascular dementia and a few years later a blue badge for my husband who had Alzheimer’s. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/blog/how-apply-blue-badge-person-dementia

I described, without lying, the wort case scenario for each of them. I emphasised that they couldn’t be left standing somewhere waiting for me to go and get the car from a parking space and that they were not capable of walking without my physical support. For my husband I made a big deal of having to be able to stop near a public toilet when we were out and that parking on a double yellow line would allow me to get him to the toilet safely. I mentioned the width of parking spaces and how difficult it was to get my mum out of the car and into a wheelchair in an ordinary parking space. I don‘t recall having any letters from GP or consultant to support the application.

I’m not sure that the above will be of much help to you. It’s some years now since I applied for these. My mum passed away almost 12 years ago and my husband almost 7 years ago so my memory on this is a bit vague!

If you have a local carers centre it might be possible to get someone there to go over the form with you and make some suggestions.

I found these links and wondered if they would be at all helpful.

Suzysheep01

Jan 14, 2023
I have not long applied for mum. I also have an autistic son, and used a lot of the same style of filling out his pip to fill out the blue badge forms.
I used examples of dangerous situations that had happened, like when I had to take mum to the dr and there were no parking spots so I had to drop mum by the door and take the car to find a space along the road. Mum starts following the car into the road!
good luck

Bakerst

Mar 4, 2022
When I applied for one for OH I described how it was his alzheimer's that was making him unsafe when we were out. (I was actually quite angry when they asked me for more evidence..posted on here about it) I phoned them instead of trying to describe in an email, and eventually got the badge. The criteria has changed, you don't necessarily need mobility issues, there is now a section where you can qualify if you have a mental health condition, which is the section I applied under. Also alzheimer's does eventually effect mobility so does help, I told them how OH stumbles now although he can walk a short distance.
As above, describe the conditions on a worst day basis. Good luck