Blue badge

Bakerst

Mar 4, 2022
Although OH is still quite mobile..he now walks flatfooted and is losing spacial awareness...he can be a nightmare when taking him anywhere in the car, he wanders off while I am locking it, is not aware of cars/traffic and gets really confused by the noise of traffic and people milling about.
I was advised to apply for a blue badge, but I thought they were just for mobility issues. When I read the eligibility details, it said since 2019 you can apply if you have, stress, anxiety or mental health problems, so I thought ok..alzheimers comes under that section. I duly filled everything in and applied..in November.
I had an email this week, asking me to clarify ongoing treatment, medical appointments etc and couldn't I take him out in 'quiet times' I was even asked how I locked my car and didn't I use a fob. My car is very old so only locks with a key 🤷‍♀️
There were 10 questions along this line asking me to describe what happens when I was out with OH etc etc.
Trying to describe how alzheimer's affects someone when they are out is virtually impossible...it's always different, according to the situation.
In the end I telephoned to try to explain, I told them his mobility had deteriorated since I applied as had his confusion. They asked about ongoing treatment, at this point I'm afraid I lost it a bit...I said there is none, he will deteriorate and eventually die.
I can't believe that having an alzheimer's diagnosis wasn't self explanatory in itself. If I didn't believe that a blue badge would help improve his quality of life, I would have told them to stick it 😊

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Try using bullet points and list worse case scenarios, if you say a situation doesn’t happen often, it will be read as doesn’t happen at all. Usually the people have no medical knowledge or experience of dementia so you have to spoon feed them everything. Imagine they gave never heard of dementia.
On going treatment is any thing medical and that he needs 1 to 1 support to manage this due to confusion, lack of personal safety etc so even a trip to the GP for vaccinations, blood pressure, regular non dementia related check ups, have to be fully supervised.

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
I applied for a blue badge just over a year ago because my OH has heart failure, emphysema/copd and vascular dementia. He has to take 11 different tablets every day, plus 2 regular inhalers, has breathing difficulties when walking and bouts of location confusion, all of which were explained on the application. Nevertheless the application was not accepted. I could not believe it, and to date have not appealed or applied again because OH`s condition has not changed very much and I assume that we would simply be rejected again.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I applied for a blue badge just over a year ago because my OH has heart failure, emphysema/copd and vascular dementia. He has to take 11 different tablets every day, plus 2 regular inhalers, has breathing difficulties when walking and bouts of location confusion, all of which were explained on the application. Nevertheless the application was not accepted. I could not believe it, and to date have not appealed or applied again because OH`s condition has not changed very much and I assume that we would simply be rejected again.
Personally I am an advocate of always appealing, many appeals for blue badges are upheld and the badge is issued. See if you can get support with an appeal from your local CAB , carers centre if there is one or any local disability rights groups.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
The memory team gave me a supporting letter which was accepted by the local council. I had to pop in with proof of address and AA. Blue badge arrived by post about 10 days later.

At the time, Mum was fully mobile but an absolute danger in a car park.

Bakerst

Mar 4, 2022
Absolutely appalling 😡 I would appeal ( I will if we are denied ) I will follow all the tips that I have read on this thread. And I will keep on doing it, because I think it's a disgrace that dementia isn't automatically included as a mental health issue. You should have got it from the medical issues alone 😔

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Some councils just don’t recognise Dementia as a condition that requires help. My local council was one of them until 2 years ago, and I applied and got one. It was a god send as my husband just didn’t have any Road awareness.

Tonyjoe

May 31, 2022
Although OH is still quite mobile..he now walks flatfooted and is losing spacial awareness...he can be a nightmare when taking him anywhere in the car, he wanders off while I am locking it, is not aware of cars/traffic and gets really confused by the noise of traffic and people milling about.
I was advised to apply for a blue badge, but I thought they were just for mobility issues. When I read the eligibility details, it said since 2019 you can apply if you have, stress, anxiety or mental health problems, so I thought ok..alzheimers comes under that section. I duly filled everything in and applied..in November.
I had an email this week, asking me to clarify ongoing treatment, medical appointments etc and couldn't I take him out in 'quiet times' I was even asked how I locked my car and didn't I use a fob. My car is very old so only locks with a key 🤷‍♀️
There were 10 questions along this line asking me to describe what happens when I was out with OH etc etc.
Trying to describe how alzheimer's affects someone when they are out is virtually impossible...it's always different, according to the situation.
In the end I telephoned to try to explain, I told them his mobility had deteriorated since I applied as had his confusion. They asked about ongoing treatment, at this point I'm afraid I lost it a bit...I said there is none, he will deteriorate and eventually die.
I can't believe that having an alzheimer's diagnosis wasn't self explanatory in itself. If I didn't believe that a blue badge would help improve his quality of life, I would have told them to stick it 😊
I applied for a blue badge on the grounds of my wife's alzheimer's and was issued one. Its been very useful as her illness has progressed

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
If PIP or AS is in place, maybe send them a copy of that. I believe that helps with your application too.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
When I made an application for a Blue Badge for my late OH I emphasised how his reduced mobility affected his / our safety and that his lack of spatial awareness and cognition of the world around him made him a danger not only to himself but to other road and car park users.
His Blue Badge came through the post without a problem. Sadly. we never had reason to use it.
I wish I could find a copy of the form for the wording I used but alas, I'm swamped with paperwork and may have shredded the original application once the Blue Badge arrived.
Alz and Dem itself isn't necessarily a reason to be awarded a BB. The effect it has on the person and the people surrounding them is.
Don't give up.

Bakerst

Mar 4, 2022
Thank you all for your input..I thought I had covered everything in the application about the danger to himself and others, it was the questions about how I locked my car and couldn't I take OH out in 'quiet times' etc that were winding me up.
OH gets AA, PIP is for people under pension age..I think. AA was awarded straight away with the evidence of diagnosis, I was probably naive to think the blue badge would be similar.
I will post when I get a reply one way or another 😊

SJM10

Jan 10, 2021
I also have applied for a blue badge for my OH, 2 months ago , still waiting. I was speaking to someone at the carers group a few days ago . His wife was called for an assessment even though it was not a mobility issue. He said he took her but decided not to help her with any of the questions. When they asked to walk out to the car he again stood back and let her take them to the car . Obviously she didnt know the car details /where the car was. he received the blue badge . However, it was distressing to have to do that as we all want to help the PWD and not cause them distress . Why cant they just accept the diagnosis !!!

Bakerst

Mar 4, 2022
I also have applied for a blue badge for my OH, 2 months ago , still waiting. I was speaking to someone at the carers group a few days ago . His wife was called for an assessment even though it was not a mobility issue. He said he took her but decided not to help her with any of the questions. When they asked to walk out to the car he again stood back and let her take them to the car . Obviously she didnt know the car details /where the car was. he received the blue badge . However, it was distressing to have to do that as we all want to help the PWD and not cause them distress . Why cant they just accept the diagnosis !!!
That is exactly what I think, a diagnosis of dementia/alzheimer's, no matter which stage the PWD is at at the time of application, is only going to get worse as time goes on. To put somebody through a 'test' to prove how incapable they are is, to my mind, really cruel and unnecessary.
We are, as a society, supposed to treat everyone with dignity and respect. It is the basis of equality..recognising need and treating people according to those needs. Not testing to make them feel worse 😡

Bakerst

Mar 4, 2022
Just wanted to let you know, as promised, we received the blue badge yesterday 🥳🤞 to less stressful outings now 😊

Wednesday23

Oct 4, 2023
Just wanted to let you know, as promised, we received the blue badge yesterday 🥳🤞 to less stressful outings now 😊
We applied but got rejected, it sed the disposes of alzheimers is not enough.
We're now appealing, any tips on what to include

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We applied but got rejected, it sed the disposes of alzheimers is not enough.
We're now appealing, any tips on what to include

This has some tips listed -

I live in Scotland so things might be different here. It’s also some time since I got a blue badge for my late husband. When i applied i emphasised the need to be able to park near disabled toilets, not being able to leave him anywhere near where we wanted to be while I looked for a parking space, the fact that I difficulty getting him out of the car so the wider disabled parking spaces were need for me to be able to manipulate him out of the car.

Not sure if any of that is any help. Good luck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jo Hefferman