1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Blood Shot eyes and increased sleepiness in late/severe stage vascular dementia

Discussion in 'Middle - later stages of dementia' started by flower1, Mar 31, 2015.

1. flower1

flower1 Registered User

Apr 12, 2013
    I have been told by the nurses that Mum is getting blood shot eyes on regular basis and much increased sleepiness in mornings and during day too, so much that they are having to put her back to bed in nursing home (where she has been for 5 years). Is this normal in late/severe stage vascular dementia. A friend of mine suggested that the blood shot eyes could be a sign of more TIA's? I did ask the nurses must they seemed to think this was normal?? Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated if anybody else has experienced this with their loved one.

2. BR_ANA

BR_ANA Registered User

Jun 27, 2012
    Brazil
    I would talk to GP. Red marks on white of eye can be high pressure. Or not.

Is she with any infection or discomfort that would explain her increase of sleep? My mom has days that all she want is sleep. But other days she is more alert. (Dementia without specific diagnosis on stage 7)