Birthdays in care homes?

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
I was wondering what happens on birthdays in most care homes? Do residents receive a gift? If so what kind of thing? A card? Is a cake made for them? Are families invited? Do they hold parties?

Where I work we give them a token gift (shower gel, handkerchiefs and a card, and there is always a cake made for them, but I wondered how what we do compares to others? I would like to do a little more, but what? Any ideas? Budgets as always are usually the main obstacle.

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
Grandad's home always make a cake that is shared amongst the relatives, and a card.

They always subtly sound us out about our plans incase we were to take him out, but we are always made welcome on his birthday, and they arrange a room for us or a quiet area so we can spend some time with him on his birthday in private.

Balloons always go down well too with all the residents and don't cost a lot - also banners.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I've visited a few care homes and always seen the same kind of thing as you describe. The homes are usually only too glad to provide something to celebrate such as a card and cake and make a fuss of the resident on their birthday. If relatives also want to make a special little birthday party at the home the staff will usually go out of their way to help.

xxTinaT

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
My husband's care home, they diorite the lounge with banners and balloons. They have a birthday cake, which is shared among residents, and staff sing happy birthday. They receive a card and token gift, like shower gel. My husband really enjoyed it earlier this year.

Jan x

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Thanks....

We have an "end of month party" to celebrate any birthdays that we have had that month as well as the cake on the day. Good to know we are on par with others.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My husband's home don't do gifts, not cake, nor decorations. This year he did receive a card but not last year. The nurse last year seemed surprised that it was his birthday -it was a Sunday so no admin staff there. I took cake in and shared it with the other residents on his wing and the staff. Apparantly they used to have a small cake each but it is an LA run home and cuts have been made.

ggma

Feb 18, 2012
North Staffordshire
Mum's home do a special birthday tea and cake, so we usually take Mum out for lunch on her birthday, as we do not want to deprive other residents of their special tea!

As Mum's birthday is next week, we are also sending in large tin of chocolates for all residents and box of biscuits for staff to say thank you, it seems a good opportunity to express our thanks for the care they give to mum.