Big deterioration in the last few days!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh boy, do things work differently here, Anongirl! If you have time and patience to trawl through the thread "In despair ", I think I described the system here somewhere in that thread.

Sent from my C1905 using Talking Point mobile app

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Oh boy, do things work differently here, Anongirl! If you have time and patience to trawl through the thread "In despair ", I think I described the system here somewhere in that thread.

I will do that! It amazes me how things can differ so much. It really shouldn't be this hard should it?!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
No. It shouldn't. Nursing home care, even when subsidised by the Government, costs so much that none of us are going to be putting our loved ones in unless we have to! so when the time comes that we do have to, it's so wrong to have so many obstacles put in our way.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
So it's a waiting game?

Oh, gawd...I hope they are true to their word and it won't take too long.

Mind you, you have penury to look forward to...

I am, of course, being ironic, I hope the finances balance out a little more in your favour at the final crunch.

Hope there are some peaceful moments for you while you're playing the game. X

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
LadyA, how do you feel about meeting up, and we could do some busking together to earn a few bob, or euros! ;) Yes, things certainly do work differently in your neck of the woods.

Like Anongirl, John's case will go before The Panel. How awful for you to have to wait for the funds to be released. I have a vision of someone with a massive chest of euros, and suddenly a lever is pulled, and they're released. Let's hope they come in your direction. Praying for you.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yes - maybe we could learn belly-dancing, and shimmy our way to riches? :D

Oh, I don't know. I'm just thankful that since Saturday night, William has been peaceful and just confined himself to grumbling and a bit of flouncing about getting undressed and changed. And am sort of resigned to just waiting on the pleasure and convenience of the Civil Servants. And then hope that there will be a vacancy for him quickly. Am fed up to the back teeth with it all.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Yes - maybe we could learn belly-dancing, and shimmy our way to riches? :D

Oh, I don't know. I'm just thankful that since Saturday night, William has been peaceful and just confined himself to grumbling and a bit of flouncing about getting undressed and changed. And am sort of resigned to just waiting on the pleasure and convenience of the Civil Servants. And then hope that there will be a vacancy for him quickly. Am fed up to the back teeth with it all.

Belly dancing? :confused: I'm a bit dubious about shaking my stockroom of spare tyres, as it might frighten people. ;) Are there food banks that we could join? I used to do a passable impersonation of James Cagney in Yankee Doodle Dandy, but I think my tap dancing days are well and truly over. :( Keeping everything crossable crossed for you, in the hope that you'll hear very soon. :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
And there's more!

I'm up since about 4.15. That's when William was on his last nocturnal ramble of the night - the one when he didn't manage to get out of bed safely by himself (the first time he hasn't!) and fell. I spent about half an hour trying to get him to understand that I needed him to get over on to his knees so I could help him up with the aid of a chair I had brought, but no, he just insisted on scooting along the floor on his backside, desperately making for the door - which he was about to wedge shut, when I headed him off. Finally, I ended up having to call an ambulance out (our neighbour is away, and our other neighbour is an elderly lady), just to get him off the floor - he's over 14 stone, so no way I could lift him. I had a salutory lesson in the damage that carers can do, when a friend who was a professional carer, actually broke her back trying to lift an elderly client who had fallen in the night. She felt she couldn't leave him on the floor until an ambulance came. She's sorry now, as she can't work anymore - and it was a private client, so she wasn't insured.

Anyway, thankfully, the ambulance arrived in about 15 minutes, got him up and back into bed. And would you believe it, as I closed the front door behind them, his nibs appeared in the hall behind me! He just won't learn! Well, no, I suppose - of course he won't! And thankfully too he wasn't hurt, not even shaken. I marched him straight back to bed, where he has been peacefully asleep since. Not me though. Sigh.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Oh dear i feel for you, I had the same happen to Allen, isn't it frightening, it was when he had a UTI so luckily he hasn't made a habit of it,

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I am so glad that you got help to lift William, Lady A - but so sorry that you had the added worry, stress and disturbed night.

I'm off to physio today - start of the 3rd round of physio, in the last 3 years, to try and address/help the damage caused by 22 years as a care worker, which stretch back into the 'bad old days', when it was considered 'fine' for me and others to lift our 'clients'. I can't walk more than a couple of hundred yards without limping, stairs/slopes are something I avoid like the plague, and not just my spine, but other joints are now badly affected and the pain is pretty much constant, though thankfully, not always severe. Had a heavy day yesterday, when I was seldom off my feet - and as a result, despite 'maxi strength' prescription painkillers, I've managed maybe 4 hours sleep, spending most of the night in too much discomfort to sleep.

You think that 'lifting someone' as a one off won't hurt, and you think that especially with someone who is slight or small, that it will be 'fine' - but it isn't. The physio thinks a lot of the damaged was probably caused by less obvious actions, too - using hoists on carpeted floor when I did home care, bending and twisting to try and bath or dress a less than co-operative client, catching stumbles and saving falls, allowing clients to 'drag' on my arms when walking. And the 'manual handling courses' are all well and good, but in my experience, a lot of the techniques depend on a certain level of compliance from the person you are caring for, and no challenging behaviour - otherwise they are useless.

Please, please, please, carers - try (and I know its not easy) to take care of your backs xxx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
You think that 'lifting someone' as a one off won't hurt, and you think that especially with someone who is slight or small, that it will be 'fine' - but it isn't. The physio thinks a lot of the damaged was probably caused by less obvious actions, too - using hoists on carpeted floor when I did home care, bending and twisting to try and bath or dress a less than co-operative client, catching stumbles and saving falls, allowing clients to 'drag' on my arms when walking. And the 'manual handling courses' are all well and good, but in my experience, a lot of the techniques depend on a certain level of compliance from the person you are caring for, and no challenging behaviour - otherwise they are useless.

Please, please, please, carers - try (and I know its not easy) to take care of your backs xxx

I echo everything you have said about lifting and backs

I think my bad back stems from the 1970's when I worked for a short while in a care home. One training session the person I was lifting with slipped and I was pulled across the patient and pulled my back. Since then I've had problems with my back....

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm sorry you had such a bad night.
I keep coming to your thread hoping to hear some positive news but things seem to be going from bad to worse for you. I am sorry.
Here's hoping toda'ys the day you'll hear.:)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My GP has told me that the problems and constant pain in my "bad " shoulder are from the constant dragging of William both when we are out and having to lift him out of chairs etc. One of the workers in the nursing home when he was in for respite, saying something about it said "Oh, I didn't lift him on my own, it wouldn't be allowed! He's a job for two people, isn't he?" *insert ironic grimace here!* :)

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
Keeping my fingers crossed that you don't have to wait too much longer, LadyA.

Keep up your spirits, you are nearly there.

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
My GP has told me that the problems and constant pain in my "bad " shoulder are from the constant dragging of William both when we are out and having to lift him out of chairs etc. One of the workers in the nursing home when he was in for respite, saying something about it said "Oh, I didn't lift him on my own, it wouldn't be allowed! He's a job for two people, isn't he?" *insert ironic grimace here!* :)

Speechless!! Does Enda Kenny know - or perhaps it's Peter Robinson? Happy to tell them on your behalf. Keep smiling. What else would you do! Love to you and William X Shelagh:)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Enda Kenny is one of the most ruthless politicians of recent years. I suspect that like Margaret Thatcher, he is good at counting costs, except the human costs, of the measures introduced, and he knows which side his cake is iced - one must not make many moves against the elite.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Lady A, this is so appalling, I just don't know what to say :confused:

It is surely a disgrace that you and your husband are left in this situation in what is a relatively well-off country! :mad:

I know it happens, and it happens everywhere, not only where you are, but still......we should all be angry about the lack of support and damage to your health :mad::(:mad:

I am praying that today will be better for you and that the funding is "released" before too long :)

I'm in total admiration of your determination and commitment xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Ah, but it's only a well off country if you're rich! :-D

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member