beyond continuing care...

Suzanna

Dec 5, 2007
Manchester/London
have secured continuing care for my Mum (mini mexican wave for us!)

does anyone know, is this just to cover care itself or can they cover house adaptions etc as well... am i pushing things!!?

hope everyone is well.

Suzanna

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I don't know, but there are grants you can apply for to help with adaptations to the home for people with disabilities.

Have you had a visit from the Occupational Therapist?

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Well done Suzannah.

From your post I take it that you have secured continuing care for mum at home.

These home packages never seem to be as all encompassing as they should. Nothing to stop you asking though. Let us know how you get on.

Suzanna

Dec 5, 2007
Manchester/London
cheers guys

we have secured funding yes.... not sure about the being at home bit at the minute as i think they are going to argue that they will only fund her in a care home... can they do that? once they have agreed mum qualifies for the continuing care if we are happy to have her at home surely they will have to accomodate that? ... nervous laughter..... i think they are going to say that it is cheaper for them to provide her care in an institution...

we have a great OT, but the fund for adapting the house will take up to 6 months for a decision, and we may get turned down. meanwhile mum is taking up an NHS bed at the hospital despite being medically fit for discharge....

hope everyone else is getting by ok

Suzanna xx

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
once they have agreed mum qualifies for the continuing care if we are happy to have her at home surely they will have to accomodate that

we have just managed to get agreement for someone to have continuing care at home but:

- the application for care had to be made specificially for 'at home'. There were different procedures for care elsewhere

- the level of care is way less - 4 short visits during the day. Full stop. No night care.

- the health authority have not so far been able to identify anyone who can provide the care, so nothing has happened.

In this case the person has terminal cancer with a prognosis of 6 months. They have been trying for 8 weeks to find someone to provide the care. We have tried to explain that a terminal condition keeps ticking on down, and part time health authority staff who don't cover a full [working] week yet are supposed to be sourcing the care don't really fit the bill.

I hope you have better fortune!

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Suzannah, thank you for the update.

Continuing care is usually given for 'care home care'.

I have a friend who secured CC for his wife, but he wanted to keep her at home.
Funded for carers coming in three times a day, and respite for himself (she goes into care) one week in six.

Not at all what he expected. Different areas may vary of course.

Maraget 101 who posts on here fought, at got, her house adapted.
Then they would not fund to keep her husband at home, no night care. He ended up in a care home, and she has the fully fitted wet room and wheelchair ramps at the home. Daft, in my opinion.

Keep fighting your corner.

Jase

Sep 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hi Suzannah

Well done on securing the continuing care!!
This can be used for care at home but what would normally happen is that assessments are completed by NHS and SS and submitted with what is called a costed care plan and the agreement given on this. This can include overnight care and sitters but these have to be justified in the care plan. In other words it has to be shown that someone would be at risk at home overnight because they will try to get out of bed etc.
One of the most important things is to work out the nursing care required. Generally someone who qualifies for Contiuning care funding does require some level of nursing care. For them to remain at home safely this would have to be carried out by the district nurses. It is benficial to involve the district nurses at the planning stage to ascertain if they can provide the level of care at home required. If this is not possible it could be argued that your mum's needs would only be met safely in a 24 hour nursing environment.

Because I am new to the site I am not fully aware of your circumstances but hope this can be of some use x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandzz