best of 2 evils

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
Mum in hospital (92 nearly) after broken hip. Hip on the mend , Needs zimmer and supervision to get about.
Presents well but memory is shot.
Hospital urged going home with care package. We dont think that safe and would rather a care home

Mum doesnt want a care home (tho she is happy in hospital and ok with going on to community hospital for assessment )
She has never been assessed for dementia

Mum is adamant she does not want carers in the house (and we , the family, think the long time unsupervised would be dangerous for her.

We are going to force her into something she does not want which ever way we jump

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
Mum in hospital (92 nearly) after broken hip. Hip on the mend , Needs zimmer and supervision to get about.
Presents well but memory is shot.
Hospital urged going home with care package. We dont think that safe and would rather a care home

Mum doesnt want a care home (tho she is happy in hospital and ok with going on to community hospital for assessment )
She has never been assessed for dementia

Mum is adamant she does not want carers in the house (and we , the family, think the long time unsupervised would be dangerous for her.

We are going to force her into something she does not want which ever way we jump
I had a similar ‘choice’ when Mum was in hospital (90 at the time).
Mum accepted an assessment bed and at the last moment they decided she didn’t meet the criteria. So then I arranged respite privately in a care home.
Having been so against a care home all her life, she didn’t want to go home when the respite was over - I think she realised how much of a struggle things were and how lonely she was.
She has recently been assessed with Alzheimers.

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
I do think that she is quite content in the hospital and is open to moving to a "community hospital" for further rehab ( and hopefully assessment) I see it as a stepping stone to a care home . I truly feel it would be best for her . Home would be a temp nightmare till the next disaster, hospital admittance and then prob care home