Behaviour when out

Elorac13

Feb 16, 2023
I am really struggling with OH behaviour when out and about, I feel embarrassed....
He is constantly giggling at things and people as we walk past. He talks to anyone around him but his chatter is so mixed up, his own reminiscing but for me it is all jumbled and completely unintelligible to the person he talks to.....he won't stop he just calls me Boss or takes the Mickey out of me for trying to stop him.
I feel so embarrassed and don't know how to help him so I am literally stopping going out with him.......
Any ideas anyone??

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Elorac13

It is a shame that you are being stopped from going out with your OH. I expect that most people will realise that he has dementia, but would he wear a sunflower lanyard? If not, perhaps you could get some business sized cards saying "please excuse my behaviour, I have dementia" (or something similar) that you could discretely pass out to people

To be honest, though, if anyone is upset, put out or embarrassed by his behaviour, that is their problem, not yours. Try and rise above it
xx

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Hi @Elorac13

Like @canary, I believe that most people will realise that your OH has dementia. My dad sometimes wanders into a conversation with people and depending on my mood :rolleyes:, I either join in so that I can steer the conversation to an end or look in shop window and let him bore some poor unsuspecting person 🤣.

Jxx

velademar

May 1, 2022
I am really struggling with OH behaviour when out and about, I feel embarrassed....
He is constantly giggling at things and people as we walk past. He talks to anyone around him but his chatter is so mixed up, his own reminiscing but for me it is all jumbled and completely unintelligible to the person he talks to.....he won't stop he just calls me Boss or takes the Mickey out of me for trying to stop him.
I feel so embarrassed and don't know how to help him so I am literally stopping going out with him.......
Any ideas anyone??
Hi my OH does similar, will smile and talk rubbish to anyone lol. He also likes to talk to little children so it's been a huge help for him to wear sunflower lanyard, people do understand, and as @canary says, tbh if they don't it's their problem. My OH also wanders and gers lost even coming back from the loo in a cafe, so a lanyard with my phone no on back of it has been very helpful. Don't stop going out at this stage, that might come eventually but make the most of it now xx

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
Mine is the same and whatever the subject being spoken about he usually relates it to the war but nothing really makes sense. As the other posts say most people will realise a shot way into the conversation that that our partners have dementia and by joining in yourself you can perhaps put the person he has spoken to at ease. Yes, it can be a little embarrassing but you mustn't let it stop you from going out, if you are anything like me you need to do that for your own sanity if you can't leave your partner and go out alone.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Any ideas anyone??
Hi, I bought my OH badges from Amazon that says "Please be patient ,I have dementia." Bought initially because my OH was showing children his talking watch and didn't want his intention misconstrued.
Bought several,put on jumper and coats. Been through the wash accidentally and still like new.

People are really nice when they notice it. Dementia affects millions of people. Not just patient but families too. I'd be surprised if you met someone who hasn't had a friend or family member with it!
Honestly , don't stop going out. People are understanding 😘