Been to the Docs

Chocco

Aug 9, 2021
Told OH I'd set alarm at 7.30am for 9.45am doc appt & wrote it on memory calendar in bedroom. Didn't work - Oh was getting dressed at 2am and then again at 5am and wondered why I was grumpy and somehow managed to make it my fault that he got dressed too early!!
Anyway, Doc let OH talk about his painful legs and managed to swerve conversation around to memory. He asked OH to do a memory test - a name & address, drawing a clock face, recent news topics, date etc and OH struggled with some of it. Then doc asked me some questions about OH's memory.
He said results of test indicated memory problems & recommended a blood test and further down the line possibly appt with memory clinic. I thought it had been a useful exercise but OH came out of it saying Doc "was out of his depth and didnt know what he was doing"!!
So blood test next Tues then follow up appt with doc - if I can get him to go!
We had a chat about it now and he just throws everything back at me - as usual!
I had a doc appt too this morning for insomnia which has become chronic in the last month (- unfortunately it got cancelled.)
So feeling a bit low anyway but am on the floor now - feel so trapped, so unhappy. There's a whole world out there and I'm stuck with someone I don't even like anymore.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
maybe worth not telling him the night before for him to get anxious but maybe just before you need to go. at least they are testing him for different things.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Well done for getting your OH to the GP who sounds as if he dealt with the situation very skilfully. Memory problems have been observed by the GP which is real progress. It's important to get the blood test done as this will rule out other possible causes of cognitive problems which are treatable.

As an aside, I'd be interested to know how often cognitive problems are due to things other than dementia. I suspect that it's not very often.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I second what @jennifer1967 suggests, spring it on him in the morning then he won't have time to object. I always did that with dad, 'just had a phone call dad, the doctor wants to fit you in for a quick check up and we just have time to get ready' then off we go.

sunshine chrissy

Apr 1, 2022
Cheshire
Told OH I'd set alarm at 7.30am for 9.45am doc appt & wrote it on memory calendar in bedroom. Didn't work - Oh was getting dressed at 2am and then again at 5am and wondered why I was grumpy and somehow managed to make it my fault that he got dressed too early!!
Anyway, Doc let OH talk about his painful legs and managed to swerve conversation around to memory. He asked OH to do a memory test - a name & address, drawing a clock face, recent news topics, date etc and OH struggled with some of it. Then doc asked me some questions about OH's memory.
He said results of test indicated memory problems & recommended a blood test and further down the line possibly appt with memory clinic. I thought it had been a useful exercise but OH came out of it saying Doc "was out of his depth and didnt know what he was doing"!!
So blood test next Tues then follow up appt with doc - if I can get him to go!
We had a chat about it now and he just throws everything back at me - as usual!
I had a doc appt too this morning for insomnia which has become chronic in the last month (- unfortunately it got cancelled.)
So feeling a bit low anyway but am on the floor now - feel so trapped, so unhappy. There's a whole world out there and I'm stuck with someone I don't even
Oh I can identify with this,18 months down the line my OH has had the blood tests,memory clinic,brain scan and finally we have an appt with a consultant psychiatrist next thursday,he's gone downhill rapidly these last 6 months,I'm relieved in a way about this appt but anxious too,he's in denial and thinks he'll get some tablets then get a job?I'm exhausted by the daily grind,I retired last year excited about my new freedom then wham this came along,he's only 61,had 5 more years of working,he's bored,restless and feels useless but I'm lucky I have a lovely family there for us,good health myself and he's a quiet patient man(so far?). This is my 1st post but reading everyone's stories is really helping me,people who really understand,family are helpful but don't have to live here,he's fine when they visit,I'm sure they think I'm exaggerating?.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch