Bed bound so hoist not used?

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
My mother has been bed bound for 6 years and at one time did get hoisted in to a chair but now she is cared for in bed so the hoist isn't used any longer.An Occupational therapist has just called to check if this is still the case and if so they would like to collect the hoist,I said could she wait for a while as mum has some bad skin on her head and may have to see a dermatologist at the hospital if her therapeutic shampoo doesn't clear everything,she said she would ring back in a couple of weeks.
It made me wonder in these circumstances what happens if you haven't got a hoist and say you needed dental treatment or you had to go to hospital how do they get you out of bed in to a wheelchair to go there if you can't walk?Also if you have a problem with the hospital style bed and inflatable mattress had to be replaced or in our case when a wheel fell off the bed how do you get the person out of the bed without a hoist if you no longer have one?

Last edited:

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
I'd tell them no.
Like you say, just because it's not used on a daily basis doesn't mean she shouldn't have access to one for those times when moving her out of bed is necessary. If they kick up a fuss ask them if they're willing to accept liability for any incidents caused by removing vital equipment?

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
I'd tell them no.
Like you say, just because it's not used on a daily basis doesn't mean she shouldn't have access to one for those times when moving her out of bed is necessary. If they kick up a fuss ask them if they're willing to accept liability for any incidents caused by removing vital equipment?
Hi thanks,that's what I will say.i have a feeling that as it's not in daily use and used as part of a regular 'care' routine that they may well be expecting us to rent one now if we want to keep one.

extoyboy

Oct 2, 2021
My wife's in the same situation (bed-bound in a hospital bed downstairs) and I would expect the reverse of her 'delivery' from hospital would take place as we don't have a hoist. In that case they used a board to slide her from the ambulance stretcher into the bed and I'd envisage them doing the opposite should she need to go into hospital.

However I'd first be pushing for home visits for any medical matters (and don't take no for an answer as from our experience often the first person you ask isn't aware that they can do such visits).

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
My wife's in the same situation (bed-bound in a hospital bed downstairs) and I would expect the reverse of her 'delivery' from hospital would take place as we don't have a hoist. In that case they used a board to slide her from the ambulance stretcher into the bed and I'd envisage them doing the opposite should she need to go into hospital.

However I'd first be pushing for home visits for any medical matters (and don't take no for an answer as from our experience often the first person you ask isn't aware that they can do such visits).
Hi thanks that's good advice,yes mum's downstairs too.She did have a home visit recently for a scalp condition and it was passed off to an advance nurse practitioner who I thought after the visit that she didn't have a great knowledge even though the doctor that arranged her call said she was as well trained as a doctor

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
Hi thanks that's good advice,yes mum's downstairs too.She did have a home visit recently for a scalp condition and it was passed off to an advance nurse practitioner who I thought after the visit that she didn't have a great knowledge even though the doctor that arranged her call said she was as well trained as a doctor