Bank problem - cancelled debit card

bechstein

Nov 5, 2011
Hello all,I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I do someting wrong. I have PoA (property and finance) for my mum, who is deteriorating rapidly (but who has had no formal diagnsosi as she wont attend appointments or let the doctor in the house!)

I applied for a card to use for her account (mainly for cheking her balance). She banks with Lloyds and they were great - card arrived promptly. no PIN though - had to be sent to my mother's address, 300 miles away, and after a few months of this I spoke to a sensible manager who temporarily changed the account address to my home, PiN duly arrived, all ok, I can check her bank whenever necessary. Now the bank has cancelled the card - it was swallowed by the machine today! - even though the staff at her branch know the situation. She is convinced she is being burgled daily (she hides cash and cant find it) and has had the police out about 6 times in as many days.

Any ideas about how I stop a card being cancelled again? Should the bank have allowed it to be cancelled as it is a proper attorneys card? I am seeing a manager tomorrow but have a real bee in my bonnet about lack of coordinated, appropriate treatment from banks towards sufferers and attorneys.

Thanks for reading and hope I have done this properly!:eek:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You certainly have done it properly . Welcome to the Forum.

Has the POA been registered?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Is it possible that this cancellation was due to the many police reports?

The first thing I woulg try and establish is why the card was canceled - then you can work out where to focus your wrath.

Welcome to Talking Point!

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hmmm ... don’t wish to worry you, just forewarn you if you read this ahead of your meeting ... is it simply the card been cancelled or has the account been frozen? If the bank believes your mother is lacking capacity they can and will do this ‘in the interests of their customer’. I made the mistake of telling mum’s bank myself that I was considering registering the EPA I held – and that was enough for them to decide to action!

As Sylvia asks, much depends on whether the POA is registered – not quite clear in what capacity you are acting as attorney.

Best of luck for the meeting – hope things gets resolved quickly, but if not – there are plenty here have had many a gripe with the financial institutions who I am sure will be happy to help a fellow attorney through the muddles (or at least understand the frustrations!)

Regards, Karen, x

bechstein

Nov 5, 2011
Bank problem - cancelled card update

Thank you all for your comments, and for the kind welcome.

The bank were terrific today - turns out they had to cancel the card as my mother wanted to cancel everything 'just in case'; the manager has now put a note on the system that i am to be called if she (mum) asks for this again. As she is deteriorating rapidly bank problems are the last thing I need. The PoA is registered, fortunately, so it should be straightforward for me to assume full responsibility in due course. I think I am lucky with the branches I have to deal with, staff are very efficient.

I still would really like to see a systematic approach taken by all banks and in consultation with the Society. Dream on!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LLennox