Awaiting diagnosis for mother

one.kathryn

May 21, 2024
Hi all

My mother ( aged 66) has been undergoing tests for dementia for some time now. A CT revealed altzheimers is likely so she has began taking medication but also went for a PET scan a few months ago for which we are awaiting results.

Feeling a bit in no man's land at the moment and struggling to find any support. I work full time and have 2 young children and a husband. My dad ( who she lives with) has a range of medical issues and has very little energy. I'm finding my mam is really changing. She is paranoid , particularly about issues surrounding finances and is very reluctant to discuss power of etourny. She has very confused episodes where she says things very out of character.

I have joined this forum for support and hopefully over time I can support others. I am very new to the whole thing but feel I might need all the support i can get.

Kathryn

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
I am sorry that this is happening to you when you and your children are so young.

If you find mum having a slightly better day, do try again with POA it’s easier than the alternatives.

DO claim Attendance Allowance even before the final diagnosis. Describe the worst day possible with your mum.

Also council tax reduction (GP to sign the form)

It’s not a lot but it does help.

I would get a ‘cleaner’ in ASAP from a carer agency, self funded,as this will help your parents get used to someone coming in.

I know all the above is easier to type than to do

I had to book myself in for some counselling for a while too.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @one.kathryn

I`m sorry you're going through such a difficult time. Waiting for results is bordering on a nightmare.

I`m sure you'll get as much support as you need here. I speak from experience. Just let the community know your hopes and fears and we`ll be with you.

If you are planning to continue to post, your best bet is to start your own thread in the section I care for a person with dementia which is here

one.kathryn

May 21, 2024
I am sorry that this is happening to you when you and your children are so young.

If you find mum having a slightly better day, do try again with POA it’s easier than the alternatives.

DO claim Attendance Allowance even before the final diagnosis. Describe the worst day possible with your mum.

Also council tax reduction (GP to sign the form)

It’s not a lot but it does help.

I would get a ‘cleaner’ in ASAP from a carer agency, self funded,as this will help your parents get used to someone coming in.

I know all the above is easier to type than to do

I had to book myself in for some counselling for a while too.
Thanks for this. So nice to hear something back. The cleaner idea is great as I was wondering how to approach that. I will also look into attendance allowance.

one.kathryn

May 21, 2024
Thank you for your response. Its great to see how much support and advice i can get here. I do have a few questions so will have a look in this section. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.