Attendance Allowance

Pebblepebble

May 29, 2022
Having had a look through the forum I think my Mum should be entitled to AA at the lower rate. However after someone went round to assess her some 15 months ago she was supposed to have a brain scan. No appointment came (although I would not be surprised if she either threw the letter away or forgot the appointment). Nothing has happened since apart from her memory is deteriorating and she is unable to cope with anything new (unfortunately my Dad did not chase this up). She has no certain diagnosis. She can work a mobile phone to make calls but nothing more and I don't know what will happen if she needs a new one. She is absolutely adamant that there is nothing wrong with her apart from problems that arise due to getting old (she's 85 and physically in good health). Is there any way of applying for AA without her knowing and is she likely to get it? When I wrote to the doctor she called her in for a 'health check' which is why she was assessed at home in the first place. Mum actually asked me if I was behind that and I had to deny it.

Last edited:

Pebblepebble

May 29, 2022
Update - I spoke to someone from the Alzheimers Society who thought she should get it and gave me the number for someone local who would help me. I have just spoken to that person who says she needs a formal diagnosis which she hasn't got so no AA for her.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
The person that you spoke to is not correct, you do not need a formal diagnosis. I would suggest that you contact your local AgeUK for advice. They can help you complete the forms which are quite detailed.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Agree no formal diagnosis is needed, how many PWDs get one?
In
2024-01-03_124943.png

I would put something like 'severe memory and cognition problems'
The form asks for permission to contact GP who I assume is aware of her condition.

Also agree that you should get help from AgeUK or CAB, asking for an appointment ensures you see the correct person.

Pebblepebble

May 29, 2022
Thank you. Doctor is aware as she saw mum in 2020 and 2022 (that's when she was referred to the memory clinic) so it will be on the records. I will phone Age UK.

Pebblepebble

May 29, 2022
AgeUK also saying we need a formal diagnosis otherwise they will ask mum what her issues are and what help she needs and she will say she's fine.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
AgeUK also saying we need a formal diagnosis otherwise they will ask mum what her issues are and what help she needs and she will say she's fine.
I also dont understand why they want a formal diagnosis to apply. My mum did not have a diagnosis when I successfully claimed AA for her.

Mind you, I didnt have POA, so had to become her appointee first before I could claim on her behalf. I wonder whether doing this will enable you to claim without a diagnosis

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My M in law isnt diagnosed with anything, other than 'frailty of old age' ( she's 94)
She gets it

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
They may be saying that without a diagnosis that means mum is unable to answer questions herself they have to ask her and believe what she says.

Can you get a note from the GP saying that she is unable to give meaningful answers to questions?

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland
My sister adamantly didn't want the AA, because she used to work once in that department. In the end I used my PoA and a local friend and local support organisation, similar to AgeUK, to fill out the forms since I was in Switzerland, and it was Covid time. I simply received the Email copies, signed and returned them as signed copies the same day. But we did have an Alzheimer's assessment letter from the authorities. It went through without problem and she started receiving the full rate. My sister never got to know anything about it, since I was already by then managing all her financial accounts online. As previous forum writers have noted, there seem to be ways if you maybe don't have a PoA. Good luck, it's a great financial help, in particular later.
Btw: Don't forget to also apply for a council tax rebate, we got 100% because of the assessment and attendance allowance.

Pebblepebble

May 29, 2022
Thank you everyone for your input, very valuable. We are going to start with Dad contacting the doctor as the letter from the memory clinic should be on her records. Dad already manages everything online, she has never been good with technology and she can just about use her mobile phone to make a call. If the doctors receptionists bang on about her using the app like I heard them with someone else the other day she'll be out off going in even more. Grockle I hope you don't mind me asking but how was the Alzheimers assessment made? Did it include a brain scan? Was your sister living alone as I think they will only get 25% reduction. My parents set up EPA's many years ago but apparently that only covers finance and not health.

Pebblepebble

May 29, 2022
I also dont understand why they want a formal diagnosis to apply. My mum did not have a diagnosis when I successfully claimed AA for her.

Mind you, I didnt have POA, so had to become her appointee first before I could claim on her behalf. I wonder whether doing this will enable you to claim without a diagnosis
That's interesting but if they interview her she will insist she is fine, maybe that's what the AgeUK lady was meaning. What a nightmare, she used to say if she ever got like her mother was then shoot her - she's far worse than my Nan ever was.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That's interesting but if they interview her she will insist she is fine, maybe that's what the AgeUK lady was meaning. What a nightmare, she used to say if she ever got like her mother was then shoot her - she's far worse than my Nan ever was.
My mum used to insist she was fine too (most people with dementia think this), but the person who interviewed her was savvy about dementia and could see through her protestations. I became mums appointee and the man from DWP also gave me several tips about how to fill in the form. He said you have to fill it in assuming it is their worst day, fill in every question as if a different person would be reading each question (ie dont worry about repetitions) and always fill in the box underneath the question with examples of problems that they have. Because I was her appointee I could fill in the form without her knowing and sign it having ticked the box to say I was her appointee

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland
Thank you everyone for your input, very valuable. We are going to start with Dad contacting the doctor as the letter from the memory clinic should be on her records. Dad already manages everything online, she has never been good with technology and she can just about use her mobile phone to make a call. If the doctors receptionists bang on about her using the app like I heard them with someone else the other day she'll be out off going in even more. Grockle I hope you don't mind me asking but how was the Alzheimers assessment made? Did it include a brain scan? Was your sister living alone as I think they will only get 25% reduction. My parents set up EPA's many years ago but apparently that only covers finance and not health.

Some more information. My sister had an assessment done by a NHS Memory Clinic, no head scan was done since it was during Covid times and not thought to be useful. My sister lived alone, but we had 1.5-2 hrs of AgeUK/ week support at the time and shortly afterwards an ever-increasing daily care support at mealtimes to make sure my sister ate something. Moving on in this journey, eventually we had to put her in a care home for her remaining 8 months on this planet. We didn't have to fight for the AA, 100% was offered and within a week I could organise a 100% council tax rebate, both backdated to the assessment date. You will be needing this financial support, in particular at a later stage, so please apply. It would appear that you don't necessarily need the PoA for Health as well as Wealth. Good job you have the wealth one, but I can't really answer this.
Another word of advice, check out my forum comments on scam and phone calls maybe she/they can use the mobile phone at the moment, but you might want to protect her some more. My sister had only a normal phone, but I had to lock it down to 24x7 do not disturb, except VIP persons, whose numbers I defined. This was to protect her from scammers, she was very vulnerable.
I was very fortunate to have made both LPoAs back in June 2019, when we walked into our solicitors' office to make them, my sister asked, why are we here, is it about the will? The solicitor and I exchanged glances and got on with it after I explained to my sister yet again why. In German, one says it was 5 to 12, almost high noon. High time to do it.
Although I'm an IT person, I found that the NHS IT setup very difficult to use. In the end, I had to negotiate other ways because of my remote circumstances, which were then tolerated.

Pebblepebble

May 29, 2022
We didn't have to fight for the AA, 100% was offered and within a week I could organise a 100% council tax rebate, both backdated to the assessment date. You will be needing this financial support, in particular at a later stage, so please apply.

Another word of advice, check out my forum comments on scam and phone calls maybe she/they can use the mobile phone at the moment, but you might want to protect her some more. My sister had only a normal phone, but I had to lock it down to 24x7 do not disturb, except VIP persons, whose numbers I defined. This was to protect her from scammers, she was very vulnerable.
Wow, we are only expecting for the lower rate. Dad needs to get access to her NHS records, for all we know it may already be on there in which case it should be a lot easier. I don't think she will take scam phone calls as she tells them to p*** off if she gets them. Dad has always dealt with the finances so I don't think she will be able to do anything in that respect but it's certainly worth thinking about. He's 86 but pretty computer literate.