At what point does the Local Authority help with the cost?

ndeossa

Nov 27, 2017
Crawley
At what point does the Local Authority help with the cost of "Day/Home Care"? I am concerned that there will not enough funds for both my MIL and FIL.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
The very short answer is when someone has less than £23,250 in savings, the long answer is in Pete R's link. Everyone gets financially assessed individually, and only their own money counts.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
They do a financial assessment of the person (not the couple) and if they have over £23,500 or thereabouts than they are deemed to be self funding. The home value is not taken in to account if a spouse is still living in it or other specific dependants.

If the person has assets between £14,500 approx and £23,500 then a sliding scale of contributions is made by the person going into care.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
The home value is not taken in to account if a spouse is still living in it or other specific dependants.
Since the OP is asking about day/home care any property still occupied by the PWD, is excluded in any FA and the lower threshold does not come into it at all.

:)

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Of course you’re right. I thought it was a question on general care costs. Must stop multi tasking.

ndeossa

Nov 27, 2017
Crawley
Beate,

Thank you so much, I thought I had seeing that amount but was not sure since the post was from 2014

ndeossa

Nov 27, 2017
Crawley
Since the OP is asking about day/home care any property still occupied by the PWD, is excluded in any FA and the lower threshold does not come into it at all.

Hi Peter,
Based on your the link you sent for the Paying for care and Support At Home article, this session is where it indicated that property is disregarded. What is "OP" mean?

4.8 Capital that must be disregarded
The property you are living in as your main or only home is disregarded. Personal possessions are disregarded as long as they were not bought with the intention of avoiding future social care charges. See section 6 regarding deprivation of assets.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
4.8 Capital that must be disregarded
The property you are living in as your main or only home is disregarded. Personal possessions are disregarded as long as they were not bought with the intention of avoiding future social care charges. See section 6 regarding deprivation of assets.
That is correct the value of the house is disregarded. Only their individual savings are used to determine if they need to pay for any care at home. If they do not have savings the Local Authority should help with funding.