She doesn't respond to her name or such things
Just wanted feedback

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Oh dear, such a responsibility isn't it

The making of life and death decisions.

For me I think it is one of the worst I've had to make out of all the decisions I've been responsible for.

I've always asked for no intervention and that mum be kept comfortable,

mum is still with us, for me to have to make that decision, no doubt, again as mum is a TOB - tough old bird

It's so hard xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband had aspiration pneumonia. He was on IV antibiotics but after a few days it was clear he was not responding to them. It was the hardest decision I ever had to make. He was made comfortable and looked after very well. I was with him to the end. There was no point in dragging out his agony by intervention which, at the end of the day, was only going to prolong things, not make him better. He died on 31st July after a week in hospital.

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
Dad had aspiration pneumonia multiple times. In the end we said no Iv antibiotics and latterly we said no oral. Drugs are to promote quality of life and not to prolong death and therefore suffering. I think it's the right thing to do personally and you shouldn't feel guilty. I know it's so hard xx

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
I look at mum and how she is... she is nonverbal 95% of the time, she sleeps so much or she walks and walks till she collapses (this was up to the last week where she has now gone down significantly)
My son, 32 , asked was the deterioration caused by the pneumonia, I told him the deterioration has caused the pneumonia.
He finds it difficult to not do everything to keep her alive. My uncle her brother is quite the opposite.
I just think how do i not do everything for my mum.
I just dont want her suffering

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My husband had aspiration pneumonia. He spent a week in hospital on IV antibiotics, but it didn't really clear it. He was far advanced enough in the dementia that, as the doctors explained it to me, his swallow reflex was basically gone, so although he could swallow tiny spoonfuls of thickened liquids and pureed foods, he was most likely still aspirating occasional particles, and of course, they could not do anything about his saliva, so he was likely aspirating some of that too. Once he was finished that bout of antibiotics, I decided he was not to go back to the hospital again, and no more treatment. He was just kept comfortable in his own bed in his own room at the nursing home, where he was happy. As you say, a very tough decision, but I felt for his sake, it was better not to prolong his death.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband had aspiration pneumonia twice and the doctors came to the conclusion the antibiotics were not working and we should allow him to rest in peace.

He was taken back to his care home where staff who knew him looked after him with love and care and where we were free to stay with him without restriction.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Aspiration pneumonia caused my husband's death. He had been given antibiotics and I was assured he was better. Sadly, he obviously wasn't as he then died suddenly and alone.

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Lady A I hadn't thought of that. That it could continue even if this one she recovers from.
Thank you everyone I appreciate the feedback. Horrible situation but nice to not be alone