Dad being moved from care home by safeguarding

Hayleyl

Feb 10, 2024
Hi, my dad 73yrs has mixed dementia and is in resedential emi. He does have some capacity and enjoys living there.
We have had some sexualised behaviours shown to other residents by my dad and as such we have been told that he must move to an all male unit.
The male EMI units are all nursing EMI and my dad isn’t at that stage, he has had previous suicidal thoughts and I worry that the unit they will put him in may make him depressed. That may sound harsh, but I mean that dad is a chatty and sociable person and the majority of the residents in the male only unit are non- verbal or much more advanced with dementia.
His social worker had said that he had to move and we have no say as to where, he will go wherever the first bed arises. Having visited the local unit I found it grubby and not where I’d choose for dad to live.
Has anyone else been in this situation before? Can we be forced to move him?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Sounds like an all male environment would be better.
Much as the fact that he lies a chat needs to be taken into consideration, so must the fact that his behaviour is sexually inappropriate

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I had a very similar situation with my mum and she was moved into an all female unit. It was not what I would have chosen for her and she was happy where she was but the situation became untenable. If a home can’t manage a behaviour then they can ask for a person to move or be moved and unless you can find somewhere else, you may have very little choice but to go with what is on offer.
My mum is now settled and happy and even though the unit is shabby, the care is very good.

Katy_did

Apr 6, 2021
I am very worried this is going to happen with my Dad. Last night I had an email from the care home that we moved him into a month ago saying that he told the carers that were helping him on with his pyjamas last night that he was having “naughty thoughts” and they later found him in 2 female residents’ rooms. The move to the care home, which has a mixed dementia unit, was a massively stressful event and I can’t face the thought of having to move him again so soon. I don’t even know if there is a male-only dementia care home near me.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
PWD will wander from room to room regardless of the gender of the occupant so I hope the home is not reading too much into that. Obviously if behaviour then becomes uncomfortable the home must take action to keep all residents safe but I’m not sure your dad has crossed any line yet. A good home would manage this and I’m fairly sure the staff hear all manner of things .