As we await my dads diagnosis, some advice please

Matty007

Jun 12, 2017
Hi Guy's,

My dad who is 84 years and lives with mum 80 years old had his CT scan back on the 24th July 2017 and although we are awaiting the results of it, we have not doubt that it is likely to be alzheimers, even accepting that dementia can present itself as a consequence of other things it still seems quite likely that that would be the diagnosis.

In many ways my dad is fine, he is neither aggressive and is totally aware at present who we are and can hold a conversation but he will suddenly go 'off piste' and say things that confirms he has dementia but more recently the main problem is his sleeping patterns, well the only pattern is that he doesn't sleep much and at night his dementia presents itself far more.

So our main immediate concern is for him to get medication that helps his sleep and we hope that would then have a positive effect on the progression of his dementia and of course whatever the diagnosis might be other medicines that might help his overall condition.

May I ask this forum if they have experienced similar sleeping problems from loved ones and if they can confirm if medication greatly improved their condition (accepting everyone is different) ?

Thank you.

Matt

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Yes to all of the above. My husband is also 84. Several years ago his sleeping pattern was greatly disrupted with him up at various hours getting dressed for work.. Our GP didn't hesitate to prescribe a sleeping pill Zopiclone 7.5mg. He took this for over a year which is quite long. At the same time he began taking quite high doses of Trazodone to stop his wandering so gradually he was weaned off the Zopiclone.

His sleeping habits now are regular mostly.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hello Matt, and welcome.

As you say, everyone is different. In my experience, elderly people in general seem to have a more broken sleep pattern, and very often, dementia will have an affect on sleep patterns too. Some people seem to sleep a lot more, and some seem to need very little sleep, which is exhausting for everyone! My late husband used to sleep in stretches of no longer than 1 1/2 to 2 hours, through the day and night. Eventually he was on a lot of medication, which did seem to help him be more settled at night.

Do be clear with the doctors about the sleep situation and how exhausting it is for your mum particularly. Dealing with your dad's doctors is never the time for "being brave" or making the best of things! They need to know the reality, if they are to help.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
...Do be clear with the doctors about the sleep situation and how exhausting it is for your mum particularly. Dealing with your dad's doctors is never the time for "being brave" or making the best of things! They need to know the reality, if they are to help.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. It was a great day when I told my husband's GP that my main struggle in caring for my husband was coping with lack of sleep.

My husband was already on a low dose of promethazine, which acts as a sedative. It is something I give him as and when necessary, should he become agitated.

The GP said he was also happy for me to administer it night to aid sleep, especially as it is non-addictive.

Fortunately, I don't need to give him it every night, but it is an absolute godsend to know it is there, if needed.

Moggi

Sep 15, 2017
My Mum diagnosed. Terrified

My Mum was just diagnosed with dementia in a 15 minute appointment at a memory clinic. An mri scan has been ordered because I insisted. My Mum is in the early stages with increasing memory problems and some episode's of confusion. We were given no idea what to expect and I am terrified. How long can this early stage last? How quickly might I lose her I to the dark? I want someone to reassure me that she will be my same Mum I adore and independent for years. I think she is in shock or denial and says she will never need any care...Oh, can't that be true? Help...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare