Are we nearing end of life?

Ukjanosb

Aug 31, 2017
This is heartbreaking. My mum is in a care home and started new medication a few months ago. Since then she has become increasingly docile (almost heavily sedated), she is starting to become incontinent and is eating and drinking very little, having lost a considerable amount of weight in the past few months. She is now on shakes for some goodness but doesn't really consume it all. Extremely sleepy most of the time but is still mobile.
As many of you experiencing this will know the feelings I have in that now my beautiful mum looks pitiful and is quite a 'shell' of her former self.
The title of my thread!
Thanks for reading and any response.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
What is the new medication and why was it prescribed? If your Mum has only become incontinent with reduced appetite since being put on the new medication I would be asking for a medication review urgently. My Mum was 'over sedated' recently in the hospital and was in a dreadful state - not eating/drinking and I thought she was dying - but as soon as the medication was stopped she returned to her normal self - bright, happy, and with a good appetite. I think you need to speak with your Mum's GP to find out more about why she has been given this medication.

Ukjanosb

Aug 31, 2017
It's called memantine and was given to reduce anxiety levels. I will request an urgent review as what you say makes sense. When you constantly live with this upset it's hard to remove the emotion and look logically.

Ray96

Sep 29, 2018
Some seem to do really well on memantine and some don't it would seem, I have heard of several cases where the drug had detrimental effects. I think I will keep well away for my mother.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch