Are we doing the right thing

Sharon1969

May 21, 2016
Hi
Mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's but we are still waiting on a nurse to come and prescribe medication.
I really don't know where to begin, I read on this fabulous forum that some have loved ones that live on their own and lead independent lives, the thought of leavingbmum on her own at home petrifies me, at the minute there is a family member lives with her but we don't know if we are doing right by not leaving mum on her own to see how she copes, I think her Alzheimer's is more advanced than what we think, for instance she thinks my dad is still alive, he died 7 years ago, she tells everyone he hasn't been home for 4 nights and she's throwing him out! She is also saying she has meetings in work, she's off work but going back in 2 weeks, she gets dressed but leaves her night clothes on, in everyone's experience is this a more advanced stage as she's only 69 years old and only just been diagnosed, she can be very convincing in her abilities though she had the doctor from the memory clinic thinking she was normal until my sister intervened, told him she gets the bus to the shops every day, she's going back to work part time and she had a blip with her finances (extreme amounts of money gone from her bank we cannot get to the bottom of) but she's ok now. Only my sister was listening behind the door she had the Doctor convinced she was ok.. but yet she puts food inter the grill and sets off fire alarms, she hides things in her glasses case, biscuits,lighters loose cigarettes, then loses the glasses case, we find food hidden in drawers after locating where the foul smell is coming from, very OCD everything is put into lines,pens, glasses coasters etc, towels folded all over the house, to me this seems advanced but other days she's still my mum, is this disease very up and down and can we expect these good and bad days? Just don't know what's in the future, near or can she be like this for years and years? X

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Hi
Mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's but we are still waiting on a nurse to come and prescribe medication.
I really don't know where to begin, I read on this fabulous forum that some have loved ones that live on their own and lead independent lives, the thought of leavingbmum on her own at home petrifies me, at the minute there is a family member lives with her but we don't know if we are doing right by not leaving mum on her own to see how she copes, I think her Alzheimer's is more advanced than what we think, for instance she thinks my dad is still alive, he died 7 years ago, she tells everyone he hasn't been home for 4 nights and she's throwing him out! She is also saying she has meetings in work, she's off work but going back in 2 weeks, she gets dressed but leaves her night clothes on, in everyone's experience is this a more advanced stage as she's only 69 years old and only just been diagnosed, she can be very convincing in her abilities though she had the doctor from the memory clinic thinking she was normal until my sister intervened, told him she gets the bus to the shops every day, she's going back to work part time and she had a blip with her finances (extreme amounts of money gone from her bank we cannot get to the bottom of) but she's ok now. Only my sister was listening behind the door she had the Doctor convinced she was ok.. but yet she puts food inter the grill and sets off fire alarms, she hides things in her glasses case, biscuits,lighters loose cigarettes, then loses the glasses case, we find food hidden in drawers after locating where the foul smell is coming from, very OCD everything is put into lines,pens, glasses coasters etc, towels folded all over the house, to me this seems advanced but other days she's still my mum, is this disease very up and down and can we expect these good and bad days? Just don't know what's in the future, near or can she be like this for years and years? X

Your dad, maybe she is angry on him because she feels lonely.

Work: if she doesn't remember not working, the acceptable thing is that she is taking some days off work.

Convincing everybody: that is called on TP as "hostess mode". Usually done in front of doctors.

About future, probably she will keep loosing brain cells, so she will have more difficulty to do anything.