Appointee ships and registered POA

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
So, I intend to register my brothers POA.

I want to relinquish my appointeeship for the DWP.

Will the new appointee now take over his bank accounts and everything even though I will have registered the POA. I am not sure where the two cross over as regard responsibilities.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
When you have registered the POA you should take control of all your brother's finances, if at that time there is a BF57 account into which his DWP benefits are paid this should be closed and the benefits paid into a normal bank account opened in his name with you as attorney. It doesn't matter whether you or A N Other is the DWP appointee at that time.

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Hmmm, not sure I'm wording this right.

I want to relinquish the DWP appointee role but in registering the POA does this mean I will have to carry on with it seen as I will have responsibility of the bank account.

At the moment the bank account also has me on it as POA, so I have a card and get statements etc, so I can't see what difference registering the POA will make.

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
VERY roughly - a registered POA and a DWP appointee role are different ways of accessing the same thing on someone else's behalf.

As a DWP appointee you can only access, and 'sort out' if required, state pensions and other state benefits for someone.

As a registered POA you can do the above PLUS have full access to all the bank accounts and other financial details for someone. This includes private pension, utilities, savings etc.

I hope that is a little clearer.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It's an EPA right? If so you are legally required to register it when the person has lost or is losing capacity. However, my understanding from your other posts is that you no longer want to be an appointee for your brother? Is there someone else willing to take over this role? Normally the Attorney and the appointee would be one and the same, but their are circumstances where they don't have to be. In that case the appointee would have to have your brothers state pensions and benefits paid into an account that they, the appointee, controls.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The DWP may require sight of a registered POA to allow you to revoke the appointee.

Try writing to the DWP and tell them that you now have a POA which you are using at the bank. Enclose something like a copy of a bank statement showing you as POA on his account.Tell them it's more convenient to just have one bank account. They then may not ask about a registered POA.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If I remember correctly gillybean does not mind having a POA and handling benefits on a normal account, she is fed up with the amount of correspondence being a DWP appointee apparently causes - or it may be another poster with this problem.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
If I remember correctly gillybean does not mind having a POA and handling benefits on a normal account, she is fed up with the amount of correspondence being a DWP appointee apparently causes - or it may be another poster with this problem.

Ah - that makes more sense. I hadn't grasped it was the paperwork associated with the appointeeship that was the problem: I thought it was the thing in total that was the problem.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I was just thinking what I did as I was at first a DWP appointee, then had a Court Order to become a deputy for my Mum's finances. I didn't revoke the appointeeship, I just sent the DWP an original of the Court Order and then changed the bank account her benefits were paid into back to her own account. I had set up a separate account in my name for them to be paid into while I was an appointee.

The advantage of being either an appointee or a deputy is that you can then speak or write to the DWP about any matters to do with pensions or benefits as they will have a record that you are acting on behalf of your relative. I have never had a lot of paperwork to do with them.

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Hi again

Yes, it's the responsibility of keeping the DWP/Jobcentre + informed of the capital situation, and the amount of brown envelopes dropping through my door is making me stressed out as I am also the appointee/POA for my Mum too.

I am Mum's appointee and just about to register her POA but for my brother as well is just too much, I was just about confused as to whom would do what re his finances. At the moment I deal with everything even deliver cash to his service provider as and when they need it and I have all on keeping track of everything as you will all know having a relative with dementia is time consuming, plus I have a family and full time job so it's not easy.

I'm just trying to take the pressure off myself but Social Services aren't forthcoming in getting another appointee despite me asking several times. I find out from this forum I can simply give them a months notice but I read somewhere that they may freeze benefits until another is found and of course he will have to pay for an appointee service so I feel bad about that. It will probably cost him a lot more too as they will have to manage his utilities food etc and won't be able to deliver money at the drop of a hat as I do for them, am I mean?

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Do you have to keep the DWP informed of the capital situation? My mother is in receipt of Attendance Allowance and the letter she received awarding it states that she has an assessed income period and does not have to report any increase in her capital. I do get worried about this and have phoned them in the past but they do not seem to be concerned.

Hi again

Yes, it's the responsibility of keeping the DWP/Jobcentre + informed of the capital situation, and the amount of brown envelopes dropping through my door is making me stressed out as I am also the appointee/POA for my Mum too.

I am Mum's appointee and just about to register her POA but for my brother as well is just too much, I was just about confused as to whom would do what re his finances. At the moment I deal with everything even deliver cash to his service provider as and when they need it and I have all on keeping track of everything as you will all know having a relative with dementia is time consuming, plus I have a family and full time job so it's not easy.

I'm just trying to take the pressure off myself but Social Services aren't forthcoming in getting another appointee despite me asking several times. I find out from this forum I can simply give them a months notice but I read somewhere that they may freeze benefits until another is found and of course he will have to pay for an appointee service so I feel bad about that. It will probably cost him a lot more too as they will have to manage his utilities food etc and won't be able to deliver money at the drop of a hat as I do for them, am I mean?

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
No, not the DWP that element isn't capital assessed but his income support is,I report to jobcentre +. It fluctuates and as I didn't let them know when it went above £6K even £250 above can affect an overpayment. They asked at one point I let them know each time, I asked them to define 'each time' to be told initially every week then I said I would find it difficult to get a weekly statement and write each week, so they agreed upon 3 months, I just don't want this responsibility

Last edited:

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
I am also confused about the capital for Pension Credit, that is capital assessed too. My Mum ended up owing them money as they said I did not tell them when dad died even though I did (twice, they lost it) and I have a letter stating 'we are sorry to hear etc' then when I appealed they knocked off £20, I was so mad. I don't even know how often this gets assessed and how often i should let them know about this too, I assume if it's in case of any big capital changes.