Appointee - opening an account in my mum's name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
I have accounts with several banks. My mother had accounts with several others. When trying to manage her affairs when she was still alive, I found only one bank that posed no problems, was sympathetic and didn't ask my for anything unreasonable - the Halifax. When I got POA, they dealt with it with efficiency. When she died, the same. Since her death three years ago, other monies have come to light which meant I had to reopen accounts in the name of Executor. The Halifax was brill.

The other banks - RBS, Santander, Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nat West,and others, made it such hard work.

Try the Halifax.

Love

Margaret

dostbury2

Sep 13, 2015
lpa

I do have LPA for my partner, would this make it easier to get her state pension transferred to my account. We have not discussed this subject yet, but would like to know what is best way forward. At the moment we have separate accounts. Thanks dostbury2

Tzannath

Oct 6, 2015
Didcot, Oxfordshire
Can anyone help with opening a bank or building society account in my mum's name, to be managed by me?

I am in the process of becoming an appointee,to manage her DWP benefits income only. I've contacted the Nationwide as I've banked with them for years, but no-one there seems to have any idea about appointeeship, it seems the only thing they know about is opening an account when you have power of attorney.

Despite citing the British Bankers Association Helpguide, "Banking for People who lack capacity to make decisions" which sets out about appointees, I'm just hitting a brick wall, being advised to open a joint account(!) or get power of attorney (now no longer possible without going through the Court of Protection).

Has anyone who is an appointee managed to open a bank account in their relative's name, managed by them - and if so, with whom? I'm looking for an internet account so I can manage it on line.

Thanks,

Cilla

Hi Cilla,

I think you have to apply for POA to deal with finances. I'm just in the process with my mum through the Solicitor which is more expensive but I have to get Deputyship for my dad which is why I went this route.
Go on to the Gov.uk site and complete the application on there for £110, this fee is for the OPG (Office of Public Guardian) where it has to be registered.

Tzannath

Status
Not open for further replies.