Any suggestions re money matters

JAC50

Feb 18, 2013
My mother has Alzheimer’s and is now in a residential home and I have to take care of her personal affairs. Social Services have told me that we (her family) have to make top up contribution to the cost of the home on top of a “Client Contribution”. The top-up (£20/week) isn’t a problem however I have just discovered mum has an unpaid bill of just over £3,500 of unpaid client contribution payments of £120/week. To the best of my knowledge the only income she has is a £64.65 weekly state pension plus a monthly receipt of £70.46 from a private pension. She has no savings and my elderly father still lives in their home.

I have found a bank statement and she has just enough money in the account to pay the unpaid bill however I have no idea how I should access her money. I am unable to obtain Power of Attorney as mum is now past the point of understanding what she would be signing. I have been told I need to make her a ward of court however that seems to be a long and drawn out process and very expensive. Are there any other ways around it?

Also, is there any way I can talk to the Pensions office on her behalf?

I’m new to all of this so any advice is would be gratefully received.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

What you are being asked to contribute is called a top-up, and there are in fact very few situations in which you should agree to pay this. A bigger room, a better view, perhaps, but if the only suitable home (that can cope with your mother and serves her needs) is more expensive the the normal local authority rate, then the LA need to increase their contribution.

Part of the problem is, it may be £20 now, but next year it could be £50 and so on. You may in fact decide to pay it, but you should be aware that it shouldn't be required.

In order to talk to the state pension people you should ask to be made and appointee.

This is how you do that https://www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits

However, that won't give you any rights to talk to her private pension provider or deal with her bank. For that you would need to become a deputy (England and Wales) by applying to the court of protection. If you are somewhere else, there will be a similar procedure.

I'm moving this thread to the Legal and Financial Issues Forum as that is the most appropriate place for it.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deirdra