Anxious about mum's scan results today

Sandie7668

Nov 8, 2023
Hi all, I'm so glad I found this forum. I'm taking my mum to her apt at OPMH today, presumably for her head scan results. She's in complete denial that there's anything wrong apart from normal age related memory loss, but everyone around her knows it's much more, and I'm certain she'll get a diagnosis today. And I'm dreading it. It's been a struggle to get this far, and although I've suspected for a while (I care and support ppl with dementia...but never had to go through the newly diagnosed but, and, it's my mum)

These days, she often feels very tired and "queezy". Usually if she has something coming up, and today is one of those days. I know she'll try to cancel. She's lost a lot of weight, hardly an appetite, but has had full blood tests and everything came back normal.

My anxiety levels are high this morning, because I don't know how they will break it to her, how she will react, etc etc, and I am good at looking positive (when inside I'm churning)

Sorry for rambled post. Hope it all makes sense x

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Sandie7668 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. Getting a confirmed diagnosis can be hard for the person to take in - and may well be denied - but even harder for family and carers. However, knowing the diagnosis can be the first step in making plans for future care and support. There are many people here who have dealt with this sort of thing. You can come here whenever you have questions, are looking for suggestions or just need to let off steam. You'll find empathy and understanding here.

Last edited:

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Firstly, hello @Sandie7668 and welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here, so I am glad you have found us.

Please, never apologise for a rambled post!. This forum is a good place if you want to have a bit of a rant or let off steam.
I hope the appointment today goes as well as it can. Always a difficult one. It is very common indeed for people to be in complete denial about their symptoms.
I think the best thing (easier said than done I know) is to try and take today as it comes,.Whatever the results are, they will be used to giving whatever the news is to patients.
You will always find understanding here from members who want to help and give sound advice so do come back to us and let us know how you get on today.