Anxiety meds?

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
The care home have mentioned to me they are considering anti anxiety meds to help mum with her transfers and the need for personal Care. She gets in a real panic even when just being rolled.

What meds have people found have been used for anxiety? Have they worked?

her anxiety is short lived in the moment and she is fine afterwards…..I, happy for meds to be tried but I don’t want her ‘zombified’ for the rest of the time when she is content.

Thanks

firegazer

Feb 22, 2022
in my experience this depends on many things, but i would say let a mental health professional evaluate her and let them make their recs, all cases are different.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
In a word "no" placebo effect maybe, but for real still a no,
"anxiety medical" or the chemical cosh as it was called just makes people more 'compliant' might suit the staff make their life easier but long term it's a no from me.
K

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
In a word "no" placebo effect maybe, but for real still a no,
"anxiety medical" or the chemical cosh as it was called just makes people more 'compliant' might suit the staff make their life easier but long term it's a no from me.
K
Nothing wrong with meds for anxiety, its not just about making carers life easier, its about the person thats suffering too.
Clearly you hav never suffered from anxiety- its horific however illogical it seems to the observer.

firegazer

Feb 22, 2022
couldnt agree more!
It may take a while to get the right meds and the right dose, but it can really help.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Thanks ….mum definitely suffers in the moment. She is still articulate and has insight with her VD. She is able to tell me she is ‘very frightened’. She feels she is falling off the bed every time they try to move her.
the Carers also find it distressing because they know they are inflicting pain but yet it has to be done.

im very familiar with anti anxiety meds in adults so I am just wondering what folk have found makes good effect in dementia so any experiences appreciated.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum was getting very distressed with personal care, hitting etc.

A small dose of an anxiety med (I think serteraline) was a miracle cure.

Not only did it eliminate distress around personal care it also lifted her mood to enable to enjoy care home life more eg joining in activities.

The care home spoke with the GP who referred her and the CPN spoke with me direct before prescribing and also upping the initial low dose.

I was very pleased with the outcome

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I should add both the care home and cpn were very clear that they didn't want to 'zombiefy' mum.

The care home loved her spirited personality.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
@jugglingmum thank you! This is just what I wanted to hear 😀😀😀

Sounds a very similar situation….the staff love mum too and I can see they don’t like her distress ….the homes GP seems excellent so I will try to catch him to discuss.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manuelperezsr