Anti-depressant with Alzheimers

JEAN.M

Feb 15, 2024
Hello I'm Jean and my husband Dennis was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 3 years ago. Following a visit from a dementia support adviser who suggested Dennis was of low mood the GP has suggested he be put on an anti-depressant (Sertraline). Have any members had experience of this medication with the person they care for and how it affected that person? Thanks for any info.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hello @JEAN.M and welcome to the forum.

My husband used to take sertraline and he did very well on it. Before he was started on the medication he had become quite tearful at times - but his mood and enjoyment of life was so much better afterwards.

Of course, people react in different ways to various medications, but for us it proved to be a winner.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband was put on sertraline about 2 years ago and we didnt have any issues although it wasnt enough for him. they have different strengths. i have it as well and we take it in the morning. its supposed to disturb sleep if taken at night.

JEAN.M

Feb 15, 2024
Hello @JEAN.M and welcome to the forum.

My husband used to take sertraline and he did very well on it. Before he was started on the medication he had become quite tearful at times - but his mood and enjoyment of life was so much better afterwards.

Of course, people react in different ways to various medications, but for us it proved to be a winner.
Thank you so much. He is very tearful particularly in the mornings and also gets quite emotional over things but the list of side effects (as with most medications) is quite worrying and I don't want to make things worse. Your comments make me feel better about it. I'm

Carmenjane

Mar 17, 2022
My partner has been taking it for a couple of years and it really helps with low mood and even more with anxiety. He used to worry so much about every little thing, that’s much better now. a low dose is usually tried out first and gradually increased if necessary.

JEAN.M

Feb 15, 2024
My partner has been taking it for a couple of years and it really helps with low mood and even more with anxiety. He used to worry so much about every little thing, that’s much better now. a low dose is usually tried out first and gradually increased if necessary.
Thank you so much for your reply. I am receiving good reports on it's use - I don't think you can beat hearing from people who are actually using it.

JEAN.M

Feb 15, 2024
my husband was put on sertraline about 2 years ago and we didnt have any issues although it wasnt enough for him. they have different strengths. i have it as well and we take it in the morning. its supposed to disturb sleep if taken at night.
Thank you. Yes I understand it should be taken in the morning. It's good to hear from people actually using it rather than jusrwhattheHP says

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Thank you so much. He is very tearful particularly in the mornings and also gets quite emotional over things but the list of side effects (as with most medications) is quite worrying and I don't want to make things worse. Your comments make me feel better about it. I'm
Sometimes it is trial and error to find what works. Please don't give up if this doesn't seem effective, there are many more options. Mum took Mirtazipine, which helped a lot with the crying and anxiety. We did have to increase the dose as the dementia progressed, but it helped make things a bit more bearable for us both.

JEAN.M

Feb 15, 2024
Sometimes it is trial and error to find what works. Please don't give up if this doesn't seem effective, there are many more options. Mum took Mirtazipine, which helped a lot with the crying and anxiety. We did have to increase the dose as the dementia progressed, but it helped make things a bit more bearable for us both.
Mirtazipine was also mentioned to me by the GP but he came down in favour of the Sertraline. Will have to see how it goes and take it from there. I feel I have to do something as it is distressing to see how he is sometimes when he is so tearful and upset. Thanks for your response.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
Hello I'm Jean and my husband Dennis was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 3 years ago. Following a visit from a dementia support adviser who suggested Dennis was of low mood the GP has suggested he be put on an anti-depressant (Sertraline). Have any members had experience of this medication with the person they care for and how it affected that person? Thanks for any info.
Its very common. But as I understand it, its not treating Alz just the symptoms.

JEAN.M

Feb 15, 2024
Its very common. But as I understand it, its not treating Alz just the symptoms.
Thanks for your reply. No it does not treat the Alzheimers (my husband was diagnosed too late during Covid to receive any medication) - the anti-depressant is merely to try and alleviate the symptoms of low mood anxiety and tearfulness which accompanies this disease (understandably)

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Nothing treats dementia, all we can do for our PWD is manage the symptoms as best we can. That's rather like saying morphine doesn't treat cancer.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
Thanks for your reply. No it does not treat the Alzheimers (my husband was diagnosed too late during Covid to receive any medication) - the anti-depressant is merely to try and alleviate the symptoms of low mood anxiety and tearfulness which accompanies this disease (understandably)
There are so many different anti-depressants. Covid has had an impact on so many people. My PWD was affected by covid too...so many services were unavailable at that time.