And yet i am still here

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
AND YET I AM STILL HERE
I am here, yet i am not,
I have been somewhere, yet only part of me has come back,
Frustration runs through my blood , where calmness used to be,
People say you are doing very well, so kind and appreciated, and yet, deep inside i weep, knowing my time is limited
On the outside, showing the world the smile,
Yet on the inside, raging and curled with fear of whats to come,
Dreading the late afternoon when confusion reigns,
Deeply fearing each and every night when the demons come to visit with relentless repetitiveness
Seeing things that you cannot see, or i would ever want you to see, or any other human being for that matter, the screams, the horrific visions that play out in front of my very eyes even though my eyes are sometimes closed
Wondering, worrying how long one persons brain can take such torment until they break completly.
Knowing one day i will go away and never come back, trapped in dementia`s tormentous world.
Sometimes People only see what they want to see, i see many things i dont want to see,
On good days i sit here and write, mornings are my best time, yet on others i despair, head in hands not understanding what is going on around me
It comes at me in waves but with no warning, slamming into me until all around me is misty and foggy, seeing only grotesque shapes all around me,
Yet i am still here?
Yet i am still me?
I dont feel like me sometimes, i question all i say and do, my days are filled with uncertainty and dread
Yet here i am, apparently?
i am still here, i am still fighting
Norrms , 5th June 2020
plz share or copy and paste

MrsGriff

Mar 2, 2019
So eloquent and beautifully put.
Helps me understand so much more about how my poor mum feels.
Stay strong Norms xx

fireflame

Nov 3, 2017
AND YET I AM STILL HERE
I am here, yet i am not,
People say you are doing very well, so kind and appreciated, and yet, deep inside i weep, knowing my time is limited
Deeply fearing each and every night when the demons come to visit with relentless repetitiveness
Seeing things that you cannot see, or i would ever want you to see, or any other human being for that matter, the screams, the horrific visions that play out in front of my very eyes even though my eyes are sometimes closed
Wondering, worrying how long one persons brain can take such torment until they break completly.
Knowing one day i will go away and never come back, trapped in dementia`s tormentous world.
Sometimes People only see what they want to see, i see many things i dont want to see,
On good days i sit here and write, mornings are my best time, yet on others i despair, head in hands not understanding what is going on around me
It comes at me in waves but with no warning, slamming into me until all around me is misty and foggy, seeing only grotesque shapes all around me,
Yet i am still here?
Yet i am still me?
I dont feel like me sometimes, i question all i say and do, my days are filled with uncertainty and dread
Norrms , 5th June 2020
Since reading this marvellous piece yesterday I have been trying to decide whether to reply and what on earth to say. My mother died with alzheimers two years ago and if she went through only half of what you are experiencing it still makes me want to weep.I don't think she understood what was happening to her the way you do and for that I am grateful.But she kept a diary almost to the end and it was full of sadness and confusion and fear.Thank you for posting your thoughts and for describing this awful disease so clearly.I will be thinking of you very often.

GillPJ

Jun 2, 2020
What can anyone say?
I know my mother shares your frustration, when she starts a question"Is it..." but can't remember the rest, then says "oh ******" or "help me". But I can't help her, it's a two way frustration as I don't know what she wanted to say.
Your post is very moving, terrifying, poignant. The rest of us are helpless.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I have no words adequate enough to reply Norrms but I do so admire your strength and feel very humbled by your writings.

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
Dear Norrms

I just wanted to say thank you. I care for my mum in the relatively early stages of Vascular Dementia. Sometimes I find her just staring out of the window and I ask what are you thinking about. She can never really answer me, but I get the impression it is something unpleasant on her mind. You have given me some type of in sight. Whenever in the future I hit a hard day I will remember your words and try to help mum more as it will be harder still for her.

I cannot really say anymore to help you. Sorry for your suffering and pain. Please accept my very best wishes and thank you again for the unique insight your post has given to all who read it. I just wonder if in some way through the Alzheimer’s Society your words could be used to reach more people.

PaulEd

Feb 2, 2020
Worcestershire
Thank for sharing this with us. I feel very emotional reading this and wonder how much my mother is hiding from us. It is very rare that we/she talks about her condition. Occasionally she will have an outburst because she thinks people 'are talking about her'. But we reassure her that is concern that people share.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Hello @Norrms, I suppose everyone's experience of dementia is different. My partner has Alzheimer's, doesn't know he has it, he can't write anymore, though he used to write some excellent short stories. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have your nightmares, he usually sleeps quite soundly and is quite content as long as he can see me.
Do you take any medication? And if so, could it be contributing to the demons and visions?
It sounds quite horrific for you and I'm constantly amazed at how well you're able to describe what goes on inside your head. Do you think some kind of herbal calming tablets might help, just an idea. Look after yourself.

Mar 25, 2020
Dear Norms,

My heart goes out to you
There are no words I can put down
But your words say it all
As though you can see inside my head,
Wretched, bloody dementia
Knowing what is happening
But not able to share it adequately
Thank you for your expression
I wish you peace
And all of us with this D
And for the carers who have to
Stand by & witness
Disintegration & distress
Becoming someone other
Not recognised
A shadow of a life
And knowing our children now
But not then
But grasping at waves, not straws

Sorry - this was meant to encourage you,
I send you very best wishes and wave to you,
as our trains slowly pull in & out of the stations

x

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Dear Norms,

My heart goes out to you
There are no words I can put down
But your words say it all
As though you can see inside my head,
Wretched, bloody dementia
But not able to share it adequately
Thank you for your expression
I wish you peace
And all of us with this D
And for the carers who have to
Stand by & witness
Disintegration & distress
Becoming someone other
Not recognised
A shadow of a life
And knowing our children now
But not then
But grasping at waves, not straws

Sorry - this was meant to encourage you,
I send you very best wishes and wave to you,
as our trains slowly pull in & out of the stations

x
Thank you for your kind words xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

elle11_x

Aug 29, 2020
AND YET I AM STILL HERE
I am here, yet i am not,
Yet i am still here?
Yet i am still me?
Norrms , 5th June 2020

Slats 1

Dec 27, 2020
AND YET I AM STILL HERE
I am here, yet i am not,
Yet i am still here?
Yet i am still me?
Norrms , 5th June 2020
You touch my heart. I’m Rick I’m 72 I was diagnosed 8 years your letter discribed my life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27