Am I wrong? Uproot life to take care of mum?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm sorry you are getting no where fast - it feels like an urgent crisis and everything seems to take time. This really stressed me when my mum had a crisis, and the wheels just turn at their normal slow pace.

Your friend has no clue and please ignore her.

I don't know if this will help. I recently moved my mum into a care home and I used a private social worker - which I knew about from posts on this forum.

I just googled private social worker and found one, she wasn't perfect but I was quite specific in what I wanted her to do - which was speak to mum's care team and find out her needs and then ring round care homes and find a vacancy. This cost me £270 which was paid from mum's money and compared to the weekly cost of a care home was nothing but saved me a lot of time I didn't have.

My mum was in assisted living and they had advised me they could no longer meet her care needs. I'd tried a few homes and near me they don't hold waiting lists and I could really only phone on my day off, so once I'd engaged the private social worker it only took me a few weeks. As my mum was self funding local social services wouldn't get involved and I was left to my own devices.

I knew that what I needed wasn't too much and so didn't spend ages looking around for one.

If you can find one familiar with your area you might find one that knows of carers available, you've said you are in Scotland but I'm not sure if you are in a rural area or a major city.

My MIL is in a rural area of Scotland and has private carers found by word of mouth (it helps that one of her good friends is a former district nurse). The old notice in the post office/newsagent or asking neighbours might lead to something if you are in a rural area.

Also I am aware that in Scotland (I live in England where my mum also is) personal care is funded. My MILs care is help to get up and this does qualify (companionship doesn't) but another of MILs friends didn't think MIL would accept a social services assessment so we left it.

I think in many areas a social services assessment takes months and months and certainly in many areas of England where there is no financial support they will just then walk away and leave you to arrange private carers yourself.

If your mum moves into a care home this would be worth looking into - the care home or private social worker might be able to advise.

Private social workers can also do capacity assessments if this is what you need but if you can get your mum in a home this sort of thing might follow then.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Just to pickup on the situation in Scotland. You can apply for self directed support to fund at home carers. That’s what I did for both my mum and my husband.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77