Alzheimer's and Migraine

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I have suffered from migraines since I was a teenager. I have been using salt for my migraines under the tongue with glass of water and finding it helps.

I just was wondering if there was a link to Dementia with my mother having Dementia.

Hi Petra

Can you explain a bit more about your use of salt under your tongue with a glass of water, I get horrendous migraines and would try anything that may help, sorry you suffer them to.
Best wishes
Sue

motherlily

Apr 22, 2014
South Wales, UK
Migraine & Dementia

My husband has frontotemporal dementia and after a visit to the optician last week it turns out that he has 'Occular Migraine', thought to be linked with the apraxia he has affecting, among other areas, his vision...xx

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
My husband has frontotemporal dementia and after a visit to the optician last week it turns out that he has 'Occular Migraine', thought to be linked with the apraxia he has affecting, among other areas, his vision...xx

That is interesting Motherlily, though am sorry your husband has FTD, my language, speech and vision is affected and I believe I have a FTD too as I can only get to the optician during the small window of time I am OK all appears OK to the optician but she's happy to test me if I can get there at the other times but I am frequently unable to go out without any assistance. With hindsight though my dementia symptoms began following a very severe migraine which did affect my sight and I was referred to the hospital where they subsequently couldn't find a problem, haven't been the same since:(

Emeraldeyes

Feb 25, 2016
Tennessee, USA
I also am quite concerned about the possibility of a link between migraines and Alzheimer's. Both are prevalent in my father's family and I've had migraines now for 56 years, yes 56! I'm 61 years of age. We start them early in this family. My father had his last migraine at age 80, and the Alzheimer's soon presented after that. Oddly enough, he didn't complain of any sort of headache from the onset until his death three years later. I have, as many in my family do, intractable migraines, which is the 'code' my doctor uses meaning that we've tried everything to no avail. Currently, I am in the fifth week of my latest migraine. Naturally, after my sisters and I cared for our father full-time for the last three years of his life, I am more than disturbed over the prospect of what lies ahead for my husband/children/eldest grand child should I develop Alzheimer's. While it was my privilege to look after my father, I would not wish the exhaustion/frustration/heartbreak on anyone, much less my loved ones! Alas, we may not have a choice in the matter. It is my fervent hope that as more research is done with Alzheimer's it will include the possibility of any link with migraines. My beloved eldest grand child also inherited these monsters, I'd like to think that perhaps Alzheimer's may never be an issue for her.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Interesting thread this. My Mother too suffered from migraines throughout her adult life...until the Alzheimer's kicked in. Now she says she doesn't get them any more.