Alzheimer's and Migraine

SonBo60

Jul 19, 2012
Does anyone know of any research or links looking at Alzheimer's and Migraine?
My mother died of Alzheimer's seven years ago aged 78. She was diagnosed with it about 15 years ago by which time it was quite advanced. I remember her suffering from Migraine type headaches for many years prior to that. My sister and I also suffer from Migraine as do my son and daughter.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Does anyone know of any research or links looking at Alzheimer's and Migraine?
My mother died of Alzheimer's seven years ago aged 78. She was diagnosed with it about 15 years ago by which time it was quite advanced. I remember her suffering from Migraine type headaches for many years prior to that. My sister and I also suffer from Migraine as do my son and daughter.

I don't know of research but would also be interested to. I have suffered migraine for over 20 years and have had dementia symptoms, and ongoing migraine, for the last 3 years but currently remain undiagnosed, I am 50.

I have tried many treatments ove the years for migraine to no effect , they always have to 'take thier course'. I've discovered in the last 3 years that aspirin is effective in reducing the pain and some of the effects of the migraine.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
O great! I'll sleep well tonight! I am over 70 and have suffered from Migraine since my mid-teens.It is known that if you suffer from migraine a stroke is more likely, which is pretty obvious really as the contracting of the blood vessels during a migraine attack is not dissimilar. As far as am aware I do not have dementia though my mother had both.
My daughters also have migraines as does a grand-daughter. One daughter also suffers from cold sores, yet another supposed risk. I've also read recently in a leaflet about oestragen, that that can cause dementia too, ie all HRT. All in all is there very much that absolutely can be guarranteed not to lead to dementia?!

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I might as well end it all now then. I have had them for 40 years, since I was at primary school. I have 5 to six a month on average, sometimes I am up to 15 a month and yes, I do know the difference between a bad headache and a migraine.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
So true John - a bit late for me to die that young though!
I think it is fine to bring up likely risks of developing dementia - if there is something that can be done to avoid or lessen these.However, if there isn't a d---n thing you can do about it, I'd rather just get on with my life as best I can. Migraine isn't easy to live with anyway!

dots

Jan 17, 2012
Norfolk
Hi my husband had severe headaches which seemed to be linked to a deterioration in his dementia. But when his headaches started we didn't realise he also had dementia it wasn't diagnosed for a couple of years. Dementia sort of creeps up on relatives.

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Interesting thread, this.
My mother has had severe migraines for ever, and she took a lot of pain meds to deal with it. Like John, her migraines stopped two years ago, just about when her Alzheimers became evident. I had wondered it the link isn't a correlation between Alzheimers and migraine, but more taking pain killers in large amounts for years.... could that be a link?
My sister has bad migraine too, and is heavy handed on pain relief - as she says they zonk her out - she is young yet but shows signs of poor memory retention - I am worried. Now my just-adult daughter is coming down with headaches (not yet diagnosed as migraine) too.

I thought this part of the forum was for researchers, students and professionals. Any chance of some professional input here please?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I
had wondered it the link isn't a correlation between Alzheimers and migraine, but more taking pain killers in large amounts for years.... could that be a link?

So have I. I think you'll find most migraine sufferers have to. However, if you continue with this analogy, what about arthritis sufferers, especially those with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Juvenile onset.There are many conditions that lead to high amounts of pain relief, are they all going to develop dementia?

You cannot tell a person to stop having migraines - heaven knows I would if I could after nigh on 60 years of them and without any reference to dementia either.As I said previously, if one can do something about it, fine, otherwisejust get on with living.

SonBo60

Jul 19, 2012
Some interesting responses here...
I am new to the forum and this was my first communication of any type so wasn't sure what response it would get...
I am 51 and have suffered from Migraines since I was in my teens that I remember clearly and possibly before as I remember having the visual disturbances even in primary school.
I asked as I have more recently got different type of headache for which precursor is numbness on side of face rather than visual disturbance which panicked me as my brain is much more fuddled with these but doctor says it is still migraine and does not seem overly concerned but I do find myself becoming less able to 'multi-task' which may make more sense to the ladies out there...appologies to any multi-tasking gents.
I have an analytical science background so these type of connections intrigue me.

Wamullarkey

Jul 25, 2012
Lancashire
Migraine Interest

I was very interested to read about any connection between Migraine and Dementia. My husband suffered terrible migraines when he was younger, so bad he was on Imigran injections for many years. Then he had a series of T.I.A.s and developed Vascular dementia three years ago. On two of our visits to hospital, seeing two different consultants, both were very interested when I happened that my husband had these severe Migraines in his younger days. I used to think back then, as I listened to him moaning in agony, that surely these " heqdaches" were causing some damage.
Would love to hear from anyone else who have experienced this.

jackie ja

Jul 7, 2011
Norfolk
I was very interested to read about any connection between Migraine and Dementia. My husband suffered terrible migraines when he was younger, so bad he was on Imigran injections for many years. Then he had a series of T.I.A.s and developed Vascular dementia three years ago. On two of our visits to hospital, seeing two different consultants, both were very interested when I happened that my husband had these severe Migraines in his younger days. I used to think back then, as I listened to him moaning in agony, that surely these " heqdaches" were causing some damage.
Would love to hear from anyone else who have experienced this.

I care for my Mother who took cafergot for as long as I could remember, not just when she had a migraine but every day, her current doctor was prepared to insist she stopped, but by then she was at a point where I had to take over her medication anyway, am sure this drug did her no good. Both my sister and I suffer from migraine and take imigram which we only take if we have to, so this is of concern. Drugs and possible links to dementia in general is a worry, I also have concerns about the effects of statins on my mother.

Petra Oz

Nov 26, 2015
Alzeheimers and Migraine

Very interesting topic that I am interested in the correlation between Vascular Dementia and Migraine link.

My mother had a stroke then developed Dementia later on.

My grandmother (my mother's mother) had migraines.

I have migraines taking Imigran medication. I am in a forum with Dr Angela Stanton methods have given me relief from my migraines. I have not been diagnosed with Dementia.

The question is will I have a stroke and Vascular Dementia later on. I'm 55 years old now. I live in Australia. I would be interested if this correct and happened in there own family connection with Dementia and Migraine link.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Well, I'm 20 years older than you are, Petra and have suffered from migraine since I was around 16.
I don't yet have dementia of any sort.

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
I remember my Mum having terrible migraines when we were children. They stopped when she got the menopause. She now has mixed dementia with the emphasis (we believe) on Vascular).

Her sister is in a home with advanced Alzheimer's and her Mum, my Nan, also had dementia although back in the early 80s they tended not to give specific diagnosis of the type of dementia. I have no idea whether my Aunt or my Nan suffered from migraines.

Last year I was tested for suspected MS. After waiting for 6 bloomin' months for tests and results it was finally concluded that I was suffering from... migraines. But my symptoms were so different to my Mum's that it didn't occur to me that's what it might be.

'Oh goody!' I thought. 'I don't have MS, it's only migraines!' :rolleyes:

Oh well, I reckon either my liver will give out or I'll fall asleep at the wheel of my car before dementia gets me.

Gawd, you read all this stuff about what to do to ensure you live longer but it's not always the best option, is it?

Petra Oz

Nov 26, 2015
I have suffered from migraines since I was a teenager. I have been using salt for my migraines under the tongue with glass of water and finding it helps.

I just was wondering if there was a link to Dementia with my mother having Dementia.

Very interesting topic that I am interested in the correlation between Vascular Dementia and Migraine link.

My mother had a stroke then developed Dementia later on.

My grandmother (my mother's mother) had migraines.

I have migraines taking Imigran medication. I am in a forum with Dr Angela Stanton methods have given me relief from my migraines. I have not been diagnosed with Dementia.

The question is will I have a stroke and Vascular Dementia later on. I'm 55 years old now. I live in Australia. I would be interested if this correct and happened in there own family connection with Dementia and Migraine link.