Alzheimer’s

MEG48

Mar 7, 2024
I was diagnosed June 2022, & my life began to change. Prior to my diagnosis I had a home I loved in East Tennessee. My daughters saw changes in me that eventually led to living near a daughter in another state where I was diagnosed- - (This move etc is a long story that may evolve if pertinent )
Finding this site is a light in my tunnel so I anticipate enjoying support & input from others as I travel a new path on this unexpected turn in my life’s’ journey -

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well done you, my mom was an American too, but just so you know this is a UK forum, not a problem people post from everywhere, caring is international.
My Mum/Mom was from LA originally, she got LA USA And I get Lancashire UK, stuff happens.
Still, hello and welcome, all here to help. K

Shirleyblue

Dec 17, 2023
I was diagnosed June 2022, & my life began to change. Prior to my diagnosis I had a home I loved in East Tennessee. My daughters saw changes in me that eventually led to living near a daughter in another state where I was diagnosed- - (This move etc is a long story that may evolve if pertinent )
Finding this site is a light in my tunnel so I anticipate enjoying support & input from others as I travel a new path on this unexpected turn in my life’s’ journey -
Welcome from the UK. My husband has been newly diagnosed and I too have found amazing support from this forum. Somehow worries are soothed when you hear how other people just cope and share their information with such enthusiasm.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @MEG48 and another welcome to this friendly and supportive forum from me also. I am so glad you have found us, as members really do want to help.
You will find bags of shared experience of various aspects of dementia here, and I am certain you will find the support you are looking for as you take this unexpected turn in your life's journey.

Watson1

Sep 4, 2023
meg48 Wellcome to the uk forum I'm from vermont a few moths ago i signed up with alz. also. web. forum some missed button push . ended me in the uk forum. the best thing that could have happened.how similar all our struggles are no where we live . thankfully i have a mini cooper so i know what a bonnet on a car is. i was diagnosed in august with a couple prior years knowing things were not right .welcome from vermont

David Joseph

Oct 20, 2023
Hi MEG48,
This forum is very helpful to all of us affected by this illness. I am an American and first came here to Scotland from South Carolina when I was in the Navy. I have been living here for a long time, and like you, life threw me a corker of a curve ball when I was diagnosed here. I was not surprised because I worked in the UK’s health sector for many years, but nevertheless it is shocking to face up to something happening like this. The Brits say you just have to make the most of the time ahead and appreciate those relatives and friends who do understand. I’ve always believed in looking at the bright side of life, and though it’s been quite a knock back, I haven’t lost my sense of humour and hope not to, and my liking for peace of mind and the outdoors is still present. Still, it’s only natural to feel a little anxious or sad from time to time, so I find it’s good to keep on going as best as one can under the circumstances.
David Joseph

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
Hi MEG48,
This forum is very helpful to all of us affected by this illness. I am an American and first came here to Scotland from South Carolina when I was in the Navy. I have been living here for a long time, and like you, life threw me a corker of a curve ball when I was diagnosed here. I was not surprised because I worked in the UK’s health sector for many years, but nevertheless it is shocking to face up to something happening like this. The Brits say you just have to make the most of the time ahead and appreciate those relatives and friends who do understand. I’ve always believed in looking at the bright side of life, and though it’s been quite a knock back, I haven’t lost my sense of humour and hope not to, and my liking for peace of mind and the outdoors is still present. Still, it’s only natural to feel a little anxious or sad from time to time, so I find it’s good to keep on going as best as one can under the circumstances.
David Joseph
welcome ,David. your sense of humour and positivity shine through your words. A day at a time, and a day not wasted to enjoy whaever extent of enjoyment we caqn haqve is so important. sending hugs

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
Welcome from the UK. My husband has been newly diagnosed and I too have found amazing support from this forum. Somehow worries are soothed when you hear how other people just cope and share their information with such enthusiasm.
a problem share is a problem halved, hopefully. At least we take inspiration from the strength and love of other carers and sufferers of this dreaded disease. It helps us to take another day on , one at a time. Thank you one and all! much love

SelahRosario

Feb 22, 2024
It's good that your daughter is taking care of you. I've seen so many cases when kids just abandon their parents. But help from a loving one can soothe things.
My grandma also had to move in with my parents, and we all live close to each other. So, whenever my parents needed help, I was around.

David Joseph

Oct 20, 2023
Yeh, that’s one of the advantage of big families that have been brought up to do the right thing. My mum had Alzheimer’s at about the same age I did when I was first diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. One of my sisters lived near my mum, another within an hour’s drive from the north, and one of my brothers lived in the same house as my mum and was a caregiver though he worked 8 hours a day down a fast motorway. My own home was 3000 miles away but I came home to see my mum whenever I could take leave from my work. I never had a holiday until I retired, but I talked to mum on the phone almost every day, and to this day wished I could have done more. David Joseph

Shirleyblue

Dec 17, 2023
a problem share is a problem halved, hopefully. At least we take inspiration from the strength and love of other carers and sufferers of this dreaded disease. It helps us to take another day on , one at a time. Thank you one and all! much love

Shirleyblue

Dec 17, 2023
It’s often my go to place at the end of a difficult day. I hope it proves as helpful to you. 🙏🏼

SelahRosario

Feb 22, 2024
Yeh, that’s one of the advantage of big families that have been brought up to do the right thing. My mum had Alzheimer’s at about the same age I did when I was first diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. One of my sisters lived near my mum, another within an hour’s drive from the north, and one of my brothers lived in the same house as my mum and was a caregiver though he worked 8 hours a day down a fast motorway. My own home was 3000 miles away but I came home to see my mum whenever I could take leave from my work. I never had a holiday until I retired, but I talked to mum on the phone almost every day, and to this day wished I could have done more. David Joseph
I think you've already done a lot of things. Yesterday, I spoke with a group of volunteers who wanted to offer some help. Somehow, they found out about my grandma, but they arrived a bit too late. They told me about the case of a poor woman with dementia who stayed outside her own house and was locked out by her son, who shared the house with her. That's terrifying to see how cruel some people can be.

special 1

Oct 16, 2023
You have my heart felt sympathy to your family and especially to you. May your mum R.I.P. God bless. 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️