Alzheimer’s and Grunting Noises

Angel Heart

Feb 22, 2020
Hi there,

My Mum is possible at middle/late stage of Alzheimer’s.

Recently, she had a urine infection and then a chest infection and vomiting and wretching and then this appeared to pass and the last few days she appeared good.

However, I’ve noticed in the past few days, little grunting noises she has been making.
She makes other sounds to communicate so could just be Alzheimer’s.

Has anyone else come across this?

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
my mum often makes noises - she doesn’t even realise it …

and there is a new resident in her care home ….i can tell it’s him as he’s grunting as he makes his way down the corridor.

I would just be mindful she’s not in pain however?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
The grunting noise could be an indication of pain, my husband sometimes grunts if he has a headache.

Angel Heart

Feb 22, 2020
Thank you both for your replies! I had a dr come to the house (pretty much had to beg!) but they did BP test (came back good), oxygen level (result good) and checked abdomen (all was good). Mum did have a headache a few days ago but checked daily and she said no pains.

Mum is currently with her other carer/partner for respite as I usually am Mum’s 24/7 carer and have a full time day job but luckily the day job let me work from home a lot but this week I have to go into the office and her partner is helping.

Could be self-soothing also - could this be a possibility?

Ps has anyone had experience of their loved one sometimes eating like a horse and other times loss of appetite?

Harky

Oct 13, 2021
@Angel Heart my 80yr old wife grunts and makes other noises as well, it's mostly when we're not interacting and she's watching the telly. I treat it as part of the dementia unfortunately. I've now learned to block it out somehow.

Angel Heart

Feb 22, 2020
Thanks Hanky. Just out of interest, does the grunting ever happen when your Wife is sleeping? Noticed my Mum sometimes does this and when I settle her it stops.
Think Mum is also sometimes going through night frights which occasionally happens in the day. I said to her “Mum, are you dreaming?” She’ll say “yes” and then wakes up and smiles serenely.

Harky

Oct 13, 2021
@Angel Heart , it never happens during the night fortunately. Along with the grunting she talks to herself while watching the telly. It can be continual unless I interrupt her but she eventually starts it again.

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
Thank you both for your replies! I had a dr come to the house (pretty much had to beg!) but they did BP test (came back good), oxygen level (result good) and checked abdomen (all was good). Mum did have a headache a few days ago but checked daily and she said no pains.

Mum is currently with her other carer/partner for respite as I usually am Mum’s 24/7 carer and have a full time day job but luckily the day job let me work from home a lot but this week I have to go into the office and her partner is helping.

Could be self-soothing also - could this be a possibility?

Ps has anyone had experience of their loved one sometimes eating like a horse and other times loss of appetite?
Hi there. My mum's appetite seems variable. She will sometimes eat a lot but other times seems to think she should leave part of her meal, sometimes thinks she has been told to do this. I am learning not to worry too much about it, as long as she is still eating. Mum is not very mobile and often has a sleep in the day so probably not using many calories. Sometimes she thinks she has already eaten when she hasn't. Mostly she tends to think she hasn't eaten when she has. Basically I just give her food when she asks for it. Muller rice has been on special offer for a bit and mum likes those, nice and sweet.