Alone, abroad and in despair

Pinkie2013

Oct 15, 2012
Hello everyone!

I've been caring for my mum for several years and she lives abroad. As her condition progresses, I'm feeling more and more isolated and alone. There is no support services for Alzheimer's here (to speak of) and I don't know how much longer I can cope, with the lack of support and services. My dad and I are literally coping with all the challenges this condition brings, with no support. I'm at breaking point. Family and friends have been few and far between. I'm wondering if anyone cares anymore? I'd appreciate any words of encouragement :)
Thanks
Pinkie

jhoward

Aug 3, 2011
west sussex
admiration from here.

I'm so impressed with what you're doing, and so shocked that you've no support.

Sending wishes and good vibes from here and wishing we could do more.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Are you able to tell us where you are abroad and a bit about your age group and your parents ages. It might help TPrs to give advice.

Keep posting.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Pinkie2013
you are such a caring daughter to be standing by your mum and dad and supporting them for so long

I have no idea if this will help, you may already have made contact
http://www.alzbarbados.org/

do have a chat with your mum's doctor and let them know that your dad and you are finding it tough to provide the support she needs
do you have the equivalent of Social Services to contact?
and maybe chat with your own doctor as you deserve support for yourself

very best wishes to you all

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Hopefully TP can provide you with the advice and support you and your family need through this horrid Alzheimer's journey; and the local (Barbados) organisation will give much better informed advice on local availability of services and some social contact.

As the demographic of older people increases, the services and support on offer in Barbados may become more extensive ... I hope so.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5