1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

All seems so normal

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Agzy, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Agzy

Agzy Registered User

Nov 16, 2016
    Moreton, Wirral. UK.
    today we board our cruise ship for Iceland and the Faroe Isles sailing from Liverpool our home port. 12 months ago Pauline (PWD) actually asked to go on this cruise which was a shock but booked it half expecting to need to cancel. Amazingly cancellation was not needed and indeed for the past week of preparation and packing all has been amazingly ‘normal’ and I would say she is not presenting with most of her usual anger and confusion issues although short term memory is stil an issue of course. Just hoping all goes well and it becomes a pleasant memory for the pot. Will know in 1 days time when we return!

2. campervan21

campervan21 Registered User

May 4, 2017
    Hope you make lots of lovely memories for the pot,

3. Jean1234

Jean1234 Registered User

Mar 19, 2015
    Hope you have a wonderful time and make sure you take lots of photos of Pauline on your cruise to look back on in the future with her to keep the memory going. Enjoy.

4. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I hope you both have a wonderful time @Agzy.

5. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I really hope it all goes well for both of you @Agzy.

6. Agzy

Agzy Registered User

Nov 16, 2016
    Moreton, Wirral. UK.
    12 days not 1

7. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    I hope you have a good trip.

8. northumbrian_k

northumbrian_k Registered User

Mar 2, 2017
    Male
    Newcastle
    Enjoy it @Agzy even if does take all that time to get anywhere (said by someone who has never been on a cruise other than on the party boat down the Tyne), ha ha.

9. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    I hope all goes well and you make lots of good memories.
    xx

10. Jaded'n'faded

Jaded'n'faded Registered User

Jan 23, 2019
    Female
    High Peak
    Really hope it's a good trip for you both and look forward to any updates :)

11. Agzy

Agzy Registered User

Nov 16, 2016
    Moreton, Wirral. UK.
    E65FC3B8-7F2F-46A6-822D-1DE25382D3A9.jpeg E65FC3B8-7F2F-46A6-822D-1DE25382D3A9.jpeg Lifeboat drill for Pauline and I as we start the cruise which, sadly, was not perfect in that it was far too crowded during meal times for Pauline who kept getting confused and lost almost everywhere. Lift button options of up or down left her flustered as she could never remember which deck we were on at any one time. Having said that we found our comfort zone bank of comfortable seats on deck 9 where so many people would come by, sit a while and chat to her/us. Everyone just loved her and no one got upset when she wasn’t sure who was who but she (almost proudly) announced to all about having Alzheimer’s; and then regaled them with the same story about us having caravanned all over Italy and walked the streets of Pompeii, took a gondola trip in Venice etc etc and how she loves Switzerland. She made so many friends it made up for shore trips not done and problems of her dietary likes and dislikes. 80% success is more than I could have expected but about the right success rating. Maybe no more holidays never mind cruises but so pleased we went.

12. Cariad 42

Cariad 42 New member

Dec 18, 2018
    How lovely for you both

13. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I'm so glad you went and enjoyed it despite the difficulties. I seem to recognise the layout of that cabin!

14. Grahamstown

Grahamstown Registered User

Jan 12, 2018
    East of England
    That’s really good and so pleased you managed to do the cruise without too much stress. We did a few before it was too late and he did enjoy it. Our last one in March was the final one sadly which I did at the last minute and I have quit while I am ahead. You must have some happy memories for yourself even if your wife doesn’t remember.

15. Agzy

Agzy Registered User

Nov 16, 2016
    Moreton, Wirral. UK.
    Pauline has made it very clear that she has no wish to leave home for a holiday ever again. It is not the holiday per se but she just can’t managed without the constant repeats on TV and has dozens to catch up on that were set to record while we were away. In fact she has not gone over the doorstep since arriving home and just keeps telling me to go on my own anywhere anytime so.....

16. Agzy

Agzy Registered User

Nov 16, 2016
    Moreton, Wirral. UK.
    Lol

17. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    I'm glad you had such a nice time. A shame that she doesn't fancy another one, but perhaps she is aware of the confusion she felt. My mum stopped doing some things which with hindsight were because she found them a bit overwhelming.

My mum became addicted to needing to read a particular newspaper on a daily basis, and went to great lengths to get hold of it, and read it cover to cover, including catching up if she was away. I guess the addiction to the TV progs is the same. It seems harmless enough, but is quite limiting in what you can do as life has to fit around satisfying the addiction (or so we found!).

At least she is content when watching them and you can do your own stuff. Hopefully you have got out and enjoyed the sun - it was really hot as I strolled through Liverpool on my munch break.

(don't want to detract from Manchester meet ups but thinking of suggesting one in the mid to late autumn at maybe Cheshire Oaks as easy to access if you are interested)

18. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    It sounds a resounding success in my book @Agzy. Well done to both of you.

On our last but one holiday to Italy my husband had a panic attack so instead of visiting mount Vesuvius and Pompeii we sat in a coach for two hours waiting for the rest of the group to return

19. Agzy

Agzy Registered User

Nov 16, 2016
    Moreton, Wirral. UK.
    Great venue choose and so accessible but for will depend on my family plans to sort out help sp I can swan off to Spain and catch some winter sun in October but good luck with it @jugglingmum

20. Agzy

Agzy Registered User

Nov 16, 2016
    Moreton, Wirral. UK.
    We did similar on cultural tour of north Cyprus a couple of years ago when things not as mixed up as now.