All seems so normal

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
today we board our cruise ship for Iceland and the Faroe Isles sailing from Liverpool our home port. 12 months ago Pauline (PWD) actually asked to go on this cruise which was a shock but booked it half expecting to need to cancel. Amazingly cancellation was not needed and indeed for the past week of preparation and packing all has been amazingly ‘normal’ and I would say she is not presenting with most of her usual anger and confusion issues although short term memory is stil an issue of course. Just hoping all goes well and it becomes a pleasant memory for the pot. Will know in 1 days time when we return!

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
today we board our cruise ship for Iceland and the Faroe Isles sailing from Liverpool our home port. 12 months ago Pauline (PWD) actually asked to go on this cruise which was a shock but booked it half expecting to need to cancel. Amazingly cancellation was not needed and indeed for the past week of preparation and packing all has been amazingly ‘normal’ and I would say she is not presenting with most of her usual anger and confusion issues although short term memory is stil an issue of course. Just hoping all goes well and it becomes a pleasant memory for the pot. Will know in 1 days time when we return!
Hope you have a wonderful time and make sure you take lots of photos of Pauline on your cruise to look back on in the future with her to keep the memory going. Enjoy.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
12 days not 1

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Enjoy it @Agzy even if does take all that time to get anywhere (said by someone who has never been on a cruise other than on the party boat down the Tyne), ha ha.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
E65FC3B8-7F2F-46A6-822D-1DE25382D3A9.jpeg
E65FC3B8-7F2F-46A6-822D-1DE25382D3A9.jpeg Lifeboat drill for Pauline and I as we start the cruise which, sadly, was not perfect in that it was far too crowded during meal times for Pauline who kept getting confused and lost almost everywhere. Lift button options of up or down left her flustered as she could never remember which deck we were on at any one time. Having said that we found our comfort zone bank of comfortable seats on deck 9 where so many people would come by, sit a while and chat to her/us. Everyone just loved her and no one got upset when she wasn’t sure who was who but she (almost proudly) announced to all about having Alzheimer’s; and then regaled them with the same story about us having caravanned all over Italy and walked the streets of Pompeii, took a gondola trip in Venice etc etc and how she loves Switzerland. She made so many friends it made up for shore trips not done and problems of her dietary likes and dislikes. 80% success is more than I could have expected but about the right success rating. Maybe no more holidays never mind cruises but so pleased we went.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so glad you went and enjoyed it despite the difficulties. I seem to recognise the layout of that cabin!

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
80% success is more than I could have expected
That’s really good and so pleased you managed to do the cruise without too much stress. We did a few before it was too late and he did enjoy it. Our last one in March was the final one sadly which I did at the last minute and I have quit while I am ahead. You must have some happy memories for yourself even if your wife doesn’t remember.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
That’s really good and so pleased you managed to do the cruise without too much stress. We did a few before it was too late and he did enjoy it. Our last one in March was the final one sadly which I did at the last minute and I have quit while I am ahead. You must have some happy memories for yourself even if your wife doesn’t remember.
Pauline has made it very clear that she has no wish to leave home for a holiday ever again. It is not the holiday per se but she just can’t managed without the constant repeats on TV and has dozens to catch up on that were set to record while we were away. In fact she has not gone over the doorstep since arriving home and just keeps telling me to go on my own anywhere anytime so.....

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm glad you had such a nice time. A shame that she doesn't fancy another one, but perhaps she is aware of the confusion she felt. My mum stopped doing some things which with hindsight were because she found them a bit overwhelming.

My mum became addicted to needing to read a particular newspaper on a daily basis, and went to great lengths to get hold of it, and read it cover to cover, including catching up if she was away. I guess the addiction to the TV progs is the same. It seems harmless enough, but is quite limiting in what you can do as life has to fit around satisfying the addiction (or so we found!).

At least she is content when watching them and you can do your own stuff. Hopefully you have got out and enjoyed the sun - it was really hot as I strolled through Liverpool on my munch break.

(don't want to detract from Manchester meet ups but thinking of suggesting one in the mid to late autumn at maybe Cheshire Oaks as easy to access if you are interested)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It sounds a resounding success in my book @Agzy. Well done to both of you.

On our last but one holiday to Italy my husband had a panic attack so instead of visiting mount Vesuvius and Pompeii we sat in a coach for two hours waiting for the rest of the group to return

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I'm glad you had such a nice time. A shame that she doesn't fancy another one, but perhaps she is aware of the confusion she felt. My mum stopped doing some things which with hindsight were because she found them a bit overwhelming.

My mum became addicted to needing to read a particular newspaper on a daily basis, and went to great lengths to get hold of it, and read it cover to cover, including catching up if she was away. I guess the addiction to the TV progs is the same. It seems harmless enough, but is quite limiting in what you can do as life has to fit around satisfying the addiction (or so we found!).

At least she is content when watching them and you can do your own stuff. Hopefully you have got out and enjoyed the sun - it was really hot as I strolled through Liverpool on my munch break.

(don't want to detract from Manchester meet ups but thinking of suggesting one in the mid to late autumn at maybe Cheshire Oaks as easy to access if you are interested)
Great venue choose and so accessible but for will depend on my family plans to sort out help sp I can swan off to Spain and catch some winter sun in October but good luck with it @jugglingmum

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
It sounds a resounding success in my book @Agzy. Well done to both of you.

On our last but one holiday to Italy my husband had a panic attack so instead of visiting mount Vesuvius and Pompeii we sat in a coach for two hours waiting for the rest of the group to return
We did similar on cultural tour of north Cyprus a couple of years ago when things not as mixed up as now.