Akathesia/Risperidone/Trazadone

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Good afternoon all.

My previous posts detail the nightmarish akathesia stories, but I wanted to update regarding the visit from the mental health crisis team.

I cannot speak too highly about them, very supportive, the upshot is that they have stopped Lorazepam and Citalopram, having already stopped the Risperidone last week.
They have prescribed Trazadone instead. It is hoped that this will calm down the Akathesia and allow her to sit down for longer than 8 seconds (her current limit, seriously :mad:)

I will keep you posted, and appreciate any thoughts/comments re the Trazadone and its effectiveness or otherwise (especially from people who have had experience of Akathesia)

Kind regards to one and all, keep up the hard work :eek:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband has never been diagnosed with akathesia. However his constant need to wander led to numerous occasions of getting lost, picked up by strangers or police etc. A nightmare. A year ago the CPN and consultant psychiatrist started him on 50 mg if Trazadone and over some months this increased to 250 mg over each day.

He calmed down considerably and the winter period has been quite different from the previous year. I do notice with the lighter nights that his delusions about needing to go to ........ Wherever have started to increase. I find the timing of the Trazadone is paramount so if it is not quite working out change the time you give it to offset the worst agitation.

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
My dad was given trazadone however it caused him to have very vivid dreams and hallucinations which also meant he was waking up more so the doctor took him off it. As with everything it affects different people in different ways.
Good luck

betty2076

Feb 21, 2018
South Shields
Good afternoon all.

My previous posts detail the nightmarish akathesia stories, but I wanted to update regarding the visit from the mental health crisis team.

I cannot speak too highly about them, very supportive, the upshot is that they have stopped Lorazepam and Citalopram, having already stopped the Risperidone last week.
They have prescribed Trazadone instead. It is hoped that this will calm down the Akathesia and allow her to sit down for longer than 8 seconds (her current limit, seriously :mad:)

I will keep you posted, and appreciate any thoughts/comments re the Trazadone and its effectiveness or otherwise (especially from people who have had experience of Akathesia)

Kind regards to one and all, keep up the hard work :eek:
This has had zero effect for us - so good luck

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
@betty2076 I’m not sure if you noticed this is an old thread from 2016 and the original poster has not been on DTP since last June so you are unlikely to get many replies..

Good to see you on the forum though, please keep posting