Air conditioning in care homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustycat

Jul 14, 2014
North East
Thanks for all your replies. Some interesting comments. I went to see Dad yesterday and in fairness it wasn't too bad in the lounge. No fans or air conditioning but I do think they had at least suspended the heating for the day. X

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
We too live in a country where it gets very hot and this last summer we had some stinkers, the worst being a couple of of days when it reached 45 degrees Celsius and didn't drop below 30 overnight.

In that heat, fans and cool drinks just don't cut it so we have air conditioning throughout the house. We keep it set at about 25 degrees so it is not too cold and at least we can get to sleep at night. OH is more than happy to have it.

A cardiologist told me that hot and humid weather is not very good for cardiac patients and I would suppose that many nursing home residents would come into that category.

Weird. My cardiologist told me cold weather was bad for cardiac patients.

Maybe. Adding both statements means anything different from 25 is bad.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
. . .
A cardiologist told me that hot and humid weather is not very good for cardiac patients and I would suppose that many nursing home residents would come into that category.

Weird. My cardiologist told me cold weather was bad for cardiac patients.

Maybe. Adding both statements means anything different from 25 is bad.

My understanding was that it was strenuous activity in the weather extremes, eg shovelling snow in winter or running in hot weather that were the cause of problems for the heart.
However I'm beginning to think Dr's are still finding out about the workings of the heart. My mother's had ischemia for over 40 years (and the cause of her Sub-cortical vascular dementia) and yet has been off any heart medication for 2 years now and seems to be suffering no ill effects. Of course having no worries and unable to exert herself in any way probably help the heart not to have any stress.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I think the cardiologist had concerns about cardiac patients who have fluid retention, that these could suffer breathing difficulties in very humid conditions and that swelling on legs and ankles increases which happens with my OH. Dry heat could be tolerated with greater comfort as the body's temperature regulation systems function better without humidity. OH hates the extremes of temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.