Air conditioning in care homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustycat

Jul 14, 2014
North East
Hi all. Just wondering those of you who have loved ones in care homes, what your experience is of air conditioning.

All care homes I have been into, old and new, never have any air conditioning even in the communal rooms.

I know there are many arguments ~we don't get hot weather that often, air conditioning can be aggressive etc. but on what is about to be the hottest day of the year in 2016 I am dreading going to see my Dad today as the home will be stifling. The main lounge is situated in full sunlight (do they not use a compass when they build care homes) coupled with the fact that they never shut the heating off makes for situation like keeping dogs locked up in hot cars.

Just wondering what experience others have had or am I just getting on my high horse again.
X

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
I agree with you Dusty. I can't stand how hot it is in these rooms. The first thing I do at my mum's care home is open the window. However, it makes next to no difference because the window can only be opened a very small way.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Most buildings in the UK traditionally have no air conditioning because 99% of the time it's not needed. Also, care homes are warm because most elderly people like it that way. Of course they shouldn't be overheated but I would trust most staff to know what to do like bringing portable fans out, dressing people in loose clothing and offering cold refreshments. If you're worried, ask the care home about their hot weather strategy.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Problem is, they cannot do what we would do at home- throw open the windows wide and close the curtains- you can bet your hat someone would complain.

Personally I think Air con would be too aggressive, people would get chilled very quickly. Its difficult. Purpose built care homes are probably built with a mind to sunshine flooding in when possible.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Perhaps that explains why my mother's Nursing Home hadn't got the fans out in the lounge yesterday, as they have done in previous years on hot days.

I must admit I do worry, especially with the temperatures expected today.

However as we know hot temperatures are relatively rare in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:

pins tony

Oct 20, 2014
bristol
fans

een
Saw my lovely wife June as usual the nursing home was so hot I complained to the manager she said I am just ordering in some fans the nursing home has been opened over two years when I said only one parasol on patio she said I put them on the order.the home was good but is slowly going downhill.I am reluctant to move June as she is fairly settled I think I will discuss this with family.take care

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
To a certain extent, personal tolerances come into play. My Mum used to visit with my sister in South Africa during their summers would bask quite happily on high 30 degree temperatures. She absolutely hated aircon. She said it was like sitting in a permanent cold draught. Her ideal temperature was between the high 20s and the low 30s.

In her well designed care home, her side of the corridor had bedroom doors which could be opened out into the gardens, windows which could be opened anywhere from a trickle to the statutary 4 inches. Their rooms each had thermostats and the main lounge had multiple opening windows and patio doors which opened out onto the gardens. The trolly was wheeled around with cool juice drinks and there was a water cooler and juice permanently in the lounge for those people able to help themselves.

In the three years she was resident Mum went into the gardens about 6 times in total...."I'm cold" was the usual cry.

In her last 18 months...apart from blue light trips out in the Ambulance, Mum never crossed the doors. Her bedroom window was opened but the curtain had to be closed or she was " sitting in a gale force wind". She never suffered from the heat the way visitors did.

As a visitor I'd say dress for the Sahara.....and have lots of cool drinks.

Sadly, Kassy's Mum was abused..... criminally.

As always....talk to the staff and the CH Manager....get things put right.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
I know PWD like to be warm but how do the staff stand the heat without a change of air? A nurse told me they get used to it but don't think I would. Not a lover of hot weather - like the English summer - two hot days and a thunderstorm.

Air conditioning would probably be OTT in this country and I can understand the danger of portable fans but why not ceiling fans. We had one in a bedroom in Florida it was virtually silent and just kept the air moving enough for us to sleep.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I know PWD like to be warm but how do the staff stand the heat without a change of air? A nurse told me they get used to it but don't think I would.

As someone who has worked in a nursing home, I can promise you that we absolutely did not get used to it - it was torture :( On the coldest of days, we would be hot because we never stopped, and the heating was always, always on full whack - on hot days, the heating might be turned down but not off, and I can (just off the top of my head) think of at least 5 occasions where staff either fainted, or became dizzy and nauseus as a result of the heat. On one particularly hot day, I got into such a row with a senior who berated me for stopping to get a drink of cold water - I was told that there wasn't time for 'unofficial breaks' and that I would 'just have to cope' with the heat.

It is utterly ridiculous :(

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
William's nursing home was - at least part of it - in a very old grand house, which in turn had used to be a private hospital run by nuns. It had very high ceilings, and the original very high sash windows - which was great, because on hot days they could be opened quite a bit, from the top, without endangering anyone. And of course, the high ceilings helped keep the room cool too. The bedrooms were all sited on the shadier side of the building, and all the windows were opened, and curtains closed in the Summer, so it never got too hot in the bedrooms. Duvets were folded down at the foot of the bed, and only used at night, for daytime naps, cellular blankets were used.

But certainly in very hot weather, fans should be used if necessary - air conditioning can be a bit harsh. But those American style fans attached to overhead light fittings are very gentle, and would be good. Some have variable speeds too, so it could be just on a slow speed, to just give a bit of air movement.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OHs nursing was an OK temp. But I do remember one of the gps complaining that there was no air con. Certainly OH was OK, and I think the others were as well.

But nothing changes. I was in hospital for a couple of nights in June 1976. As those of you old enough to remember, it was a VERY hot summer. The heating was on, so we asked if we could turn the radiator off. The radiator was under a high sash window which was wide open! Anyway, we were told no, the nurses could not turn the radiators off, only the handyman could do that.
We waited until nurse was out of sight, got out of bed and turned them off!

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
As I live on Brazil I can say what's is done here about heat.

Air conditioner is not used. Risk of air disease and some rooms might be to cold for someone coming from a too hot room not get cold.

Ceiling fans are must.

Windows with net on them so they can be open and nobody fall from it.

Plenty of water. And fruits.

All residents on lower floor. Even the bed bonds are on wheelchair on lower floor. Early morning and late afternoon outdoors activity if wished by resident.

Siesta after lunch with some windows open (maybe fan, however some residents -my mum- feel cold with 30)

I don't worry about heat unless it goes over 35. However I complain about cold bellow of 20.

hancmont

Apr 25, 2016
Hi all. Just wondering those of you who have loved ones in care homes, what your experience is of air conditioning.

All care homes I have been into, old and new, never have any air conditioning even in the communal rooms.

I know there are many arguments ~we don't get hot weather that often, air conditioning can be aggressive etc. but on what is about to be the hottest day of the year in 2016 I am dreading going to see my Dad today as the home will be stifling. The main lounge is situated in full sunlight (do they not use a compass when they build care homes) coupled with the fact that they never shut the heating off makes for situation like keeping dogs locked up in hot cars.

Just wondering what experience others have had or am I just getting on my high horse again.
X
my mum doesn't have air con in her own room but is allowed a fan and can open her windows to a point. There is air con in the main communal lounge, which is on at a nice temperature and is pleasant when I visit. care homes vary so much, depending on when they were built, who runs them etc. If you are concerned about your Dad being too hot, ask if there is anything they can do, open windows, use fans etc. and always have plenty of cold drinks and water to hand.

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
I find it astonishing that you were told fans cant be used My husbands home has fans in the lounge which are on in hot weather and they close the curtains on the south facing side. On the other side of the lounge the doors to the secure courtyard garden are left open. All the rooms have a fan which is left on top of the wardrobe until it is needed for use. Even so, it still gets very hot inside on days like yesterday and today, but the residents are offered plenty of cold drinks and sometimes an ice cream in the afternoon

onlyme1

Sep 10, 2011
scarborough
It does get VERY warm in the communal lounges at mum and dad's care home. At relatives' meetings we've asked for ages for a ceiling fan. I'll be asking again this weekend! The windows open about 4" but someone always says they're cold.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Tips to stand the heat if person doesn't want to drink.

Cotton clothes
Wet wrist and ankles with warm water( around 30-35C).
If PWD is laying you can cover with a wet towel on hands and feet.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I put a small fan in Mom's room yesterday, more for the staff than Mom. No problems with management and it was PAT tested within minutes.

The lounge is stifling on most days with no airflow but a small portable aircon unit and a couple of fans were working overtime keeping the place acceptable even with more than twice the normal amount of residents due to their rooms being too hot.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We too live in a country where it gets very hot and this last summer we had some stinkers, the worst being a couple of of days when it reached 45 degrees Celsius and didn't drop below 30 overnight.

In that heat, fans and cool drinks just don't cut it so we have air conditioning throughout the house. We keep it set at about 25 degrees so it is not too cold and at least we can get to sleep at night. OH is more than happy to have it.

A cardiologist told me that hot and humid weather is not very good for cardiac patients and I would suppose that many nursing home residents would come into that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.