Agreed to see the doctor again.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
T

Thank you Bev.you are so right about the forum. Until we know anything, this is the only place that I really talk about things - it helps so much.
Just on our way to Blackpool for the weekend. Hope you have a lovely weekend too - thank you x
have a good time. never been myself but my husband lived up there before he met me. he had a very exciting, busy life before he met me.

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
have a good time. never been myself but my husband lived up there before he met me. he had a very exciting, busy life before he met me.
Thank you @jennifer1967. Aww did he - well you OH sounds very happy now with his new Canary and your help with Oscars cage.
Yes, it will be nice to see the rain hitting the hotel window and the wind whipping up the sea 😂 x

Bevhar

Mar 23, 2023
T

Thank you Bev.you are so right about the forum. Until we know anything, this is the only place that I really talk about things - it helps so much.
Just on our way to Blackpool for the weekend. Hope you have a lovely weekend too - thank you x
Ahh enjoy Blackpool We went there many years ago & went to the Blackpool tower ballroom it was wonderful xxx

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Having a nice weekend away together. My husband said yesterday, that he doesn’t think that we should be delving into things anymore with his health. He doesn’t want us to keep trying looking for things and that he would prefer we just keep plodding along as we are and forget it all.
Incidentally, he was unable to tell the time tonight for the first time.
It was 18.30 on his phone and he knew that it was 30 minutes past the hour but could not work out the hour. It really frustrated him and I felt so bad for him because he didn’t want me to tell him.
This has not happened for him before x

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Having a nice weekend away together. My husband said yesterday, that he doesn’t think that we should be delving into things anymore with his health. He doesn’t want us to keep trying looking for things and that he would prefer we just keep plodding along as we are and forget it all.
It was 18.30 on his phone and he knew that it was 30 minutes past the hour but could not work out the hour. It really frustrated him and I felt so bad for him because he didn’t want me to tell him.
perhaps you could have said, is that 5-30pm or 7-30pm.then you are telling him the time but asking his opinion see if this spurs the brain into action. sometimes you have to be sneaky on how you ask and answer.

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
perhaps you could have said, is that 5-30pm or 7-30pm.then you are telling him the time but asking his opinion see if this spurs the brain into action. sometimes you have to be sneaky on how you ask and answer.
Yes @jennifer1967 - it was not nice to see him struggle and worse that he was so aware of it. He was determined to work it out though. I think that I will have to learn some subtle tactics though - as you suggest. Thanks ☺️ x

BeeBeeDee

Apr 19, 2023
We waited 3 months from our initial appointment to getting the result so you are quick for it to only be next week. I think the circumstances of the phone call will make them able to speak to you rather than him. My husband hasnt spoken on the phone for a while now, a couple of months before diagnosis too. One person I told "my husband can't deal with phone calls" and they thought it was because he is deaf. ! Hope all goes well on Tuesday for you XX

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
We waited 3 months from our initial appointment to getting the result so you are quick for it to only be next week. I think the circumstances of the phone call will make them able to speak to you rather than him. My husband hasnt spoken on the phone for a while now, a couple of months before diagnosis too. One person I told "my husband can't deal with phone calls" and they thought it was because he is deaf. ! Hope all goes well on Tuesday for you XX
Hi @BeeBeeDee. Thank you 🙏🏻.
Wow, 3 months. Was that how long you waited after the memory clinic - to hear anything further at all? That must have been such a difficult wait.
You would think that they would understand the difficulties with the phone calls wouldn’t you - just answering it in the first place and then also taking the information in.
My husband rarely answers a call now, if it’s not family. When we get in from work, he just tells me if he had a call from a number he doesn’t know and I check the number, or the voicemail.
I have no idea what will be said on Tuesday. I’m not sure if they will say that they want further tests, or perhaps another assessment in a few months, or if they will have made a decision on diagnosis or not.
A few weeks ago, my husband was in quite a good place on all of this and was almost happy to be getting checked and have something to tell work etc. Now I’m not sure that he wants to know anything. He seems to be changing all the time.
I hope that all is ok with you? Thank you x

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
@RM3 the 24 hour clock is quite difficult . I worked with children and some found it really hard to grasp. Depends on the clocks they learnt time on. Digital or analogue.

A response might be to count on your fingers from 12 until you get to 18, it's showing him how to work it out, then say oh! Half past six then.

Time and measurements was one of the first things I noticed my OH found difficult. His maths was phenomenal, an engineer by profession , and it was really obvious something wasn't quite right.

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
@RM3 the 24 hour clock is quite difficult . I worked with children and some found it really hard to grasp. Depends on the clocks they learnt time on. Digital or analogue.

A response might be to count on your fingers from 12 until you get to 18, it's showing him how to work it out, then say oh! Half past six then.

Time and measurements was one of the first things I noticed my OH found difficult. His maths was phenomenal, an engineer by profession , and it was really obvious something want quite right.
Hi @maggie6445 - that is so similar to my husband. He’s also an engineer and it has been his struggle with measuring and numbers in general that has really highlighted this initially.
That is a good tip thanks about working the time out.
I’ve just ordered him a new digital watch (before this tonight). I am hoping that I may be able to set it on 12 hour rather than 24 hour x

Bevhar

Mar 23, 2023
I really hope you get some answers on Tuesday the waiting is a nightmare My husband has trouble with telling the time it’s so upsetting We were trying to put a radiator cover together yesterday it was. Nightmare My husband would usually of done it in no time but we couldn’t do it together I lost my temper which I regretted immediately Most probably best you speak to the memory clinic as he may struggle I’m sure he will accept a diagnosis either way sending you a big hug

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Hi @maggie6445 - that is so similar to my husband. He’s also an engineer and it has been his struggle with measuring and numbers in general that has really highlighted this initially.
That is a good tip thanks about working the time out.
I’ve just ordered him a new digital watch (before this tonight). I am hoping that I may be able to set it on 12 hour rather than 24 hour x
If the new watch is unsuitable, it might be worth trying a Tikker Time Teacher but it would need a new strap.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
@Bevhar and @RM3 i bought my OH a speaking watch. I bought from the website for the blind but they are available ,if in stock ,from dementia charities on line shops.

My oh used to like showing small children his talking watch which prompted me to purchase his ' I have dementia.please be patient ' badges as I felt he might be thought a safeguarding risk for children!

Parents noticed the badge and were, without exception, really kind and lovely to him. He never went out alone as I'd retired and we were,still are, a very much do things together couple. ( It's why I wanted him at the wedding with me but that's not practical🙁) xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
The talking clock sounds like a good idea. I see the Alzheimer’s Society shop sells them.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I really hope you get some answers on Tuesday the waiting is a nightmare My husband has trouble with telling the time it’s so upsetting We were trying to put a radiator cover together yesterday it was. Nightmare My husband would usually of done it in no time but we couldn’t do it together I lost my temper which I regretted immediately Most probably best you speak to the memory clinic as he may struggle I’m sure he will accept a diagnosis either way sending you a big hug
when i try and assemble something, , i have rules, 1, keep his distance, 2 no advice, 3 no interfering. i can see him itching to do all three but i cant do it, gets frustrated and loses his temper so if he wants something doing, he leaves it to me.

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
@Bevhar and @RM3 i bought my OH a speaking watch. I bought from the website for the blind but they are available ,if in stock ,from dementia charities on line shops.

My oh used to like showing small children his talking watch which prompted me to purchase his ' I have dementia.please be patient ' badges as I felt he might be thought a safeguarding risk for children!

Parents noticed the badge and were, without exception, really kind and lovely to him. He never went out alone as I'd retired and we were,still are, a very much do things together couple. ( It's why I wanted him at the wedding with me but that's not practical🙁) xx
Hi @maggie6445 - thank you, I will also have a look at these as well.
I really do think that you’ve made your plans for the wedding, in both of your best interests. Enjoy, it will soon pass and you will be back together ☺️ x