After having had 5 TIA's my 87 year old husband has finally got as far as awaiting an appointment at memory clinic.

DiW

Nov 5, 2023
I am pleased to have found this forum. My husband has had 5 TIA's. He is now awaiting an appointment at memory clinic. I am beginning to struggle a little. Probably because I watched my father go through four and a half years of vascular dementia after two major strokes. My husbands memory is getting worse and his balance and walking has deteriorated.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @DiW.

I’m so sorry to read about your husband. Such a worrying time for you.

It’s good that you’ve found this forum. Come here for support and understanding. There will always be someone here to listen.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
hi @DiW its hard when you have already experienced it with your father but at least youve found the forum and have support. my husband only had 1 tia but they gave him a MRI scan because he couldnt walk straight and was wobbling. yes he was diagnosed with vascular dementia and now his balance is worse. my older son says its like he goes round a corner and its just good luck if he gets there in one piece. he cuts corners and walks into coffee table etc or wobbles. trips over his own feet at times. we use humour a lot and see the funny side.
your husband hasnt been diagnosed yet and even if he is, each journey is different and you might not face the same problems. take it a day at a time so you dont get overwhelmed.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Welcome from me too @DiW . I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read of your husband and his serious health issues. Such a worry, and if you have the memories of your own father's journey with dementia, then that worry is heightened. I do feel for you.
Try and wait and see how the memory clinic appointment goes and the results from that. If it is dementia, your husband's journey will no necessarily be the same as your father's.
Wishing you strength while you await the appointment.

DiW

Nov 5, 2023
Thank you for replies and support. Can someone run through what happens at the memory clinic? Will there be a diagnosis on the day?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
You might find out what happens at your local memory clinic if you google the name of your area. I found this one and I'd imagine the process will be similar wherever you are.

It's some time since my husband went through the process and I live in Scotland so it might be different here. He had a range of appointments and assessment then at the last one he was given the diagnosis.