Memory Assessment clinic appointment at 42 years old

Laghunafoil

May 24, 2022
Hello All, I have been having problems with my memory for the past 18months to 2 years. I had a suspected TIA (it wasn't) over a year a go, during the 'after' appointment with the stroke consultant, I mentioned an incident where I couldn't remember how to get out of our downstairs toilet and I have been having memory and speech issues. My husband also mentioned things that he'd noticed. She then referred me for scans, blood tests and to the memory clinic. I had my memory assessment appointment yesterday, it did not go as well as I thought it would. Frankly, I'm now quite worried. I have a young child and of course my lovely husband. I have not been able to continue with my degree, I'm just unable to remember anything. I used to be an avid reader (2 or 3 books on the go) now I cannot read at all. I think my husband is hoping it is the menopause, as of course am I! So now waiting for the test results, report and the diagnosis appointment. I've been trying to be upbeat with my Mum and Dad, Husband but I'm really quite scared of the impact this will have on our family.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Laghunafoil.

I understand how much of a worry this will be for you, and I know it's easily said, but try not to focus on the worst possible outcome until you have all the test results. Treatable conditions can cause dementia like symptoms so it may be best to focus on that glimmer of hope.

I hope the news is better than you expect. Do let us know how it goes as you will get support here.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
Hello Laghunafoil= I too suffered 2 TIAs and had memory problems since but aware I had trouble before this with memory - all my scans came back ok= but memory really bad - quite recently I too lost with where i was and this was at work- failed terribly at memory test at DR failed the date and clock test = told Ive got MCI but will be sure when I have the main test= still got awareness where i am and so on- memory is where I fail most- not to worry at moment has taking it has i go

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Laghunafoil
a warm welcome to DTP

it's no wonder you are trepidatious of what the consultant may have to say ... I hope you have also been having tests for menopause (I went through years of being told that I couldn't be at menopause as I was too young at the time, only to have one female doctor tell me there's a test they can do to check!)

do keep posting with anything that's on your mind as members understand and are supportive and helpful