1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

After 3 years continuing care agreement cancelled

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by Battling though, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Battling though

Battling though Registered User

Jan 26, 2016
    My mum has been in a care home for 5 years with dementia, three years ago she received a NHS continuing care agreement and therefore no fees were payable. Since then her condition has, as expected, steadily declined further. However, she has recently been `re-assessed` and the decision has been made to cease continuing care funding. Naturally I am bewildered as mum is now much worse than she was three years ago. Has anyone any experience or knowledge of this happening before? I am rather suspecting that this could be a funding crisis decision as I cannot understand how it could be based on her medical state, especially three years on from first being assessed as in need. Anyone out there with experience/knowledge of similar examples?

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Things can change to lessen medical needs as the dementia progresses.

For instance:-

She could have obtain a high score because of risk of fall but is now immobile so can't fall.

She could have obtained a high score on behaviour but this has decreased. maybe because of her immobility.

You need to get details of the assessment.

3. PeggySmith

PeggySmith Registered User

Apr 16, 2012
    BANES
    Just a quickie as I'm on my way out but we are in the same situation. MIL now totally immobile so no longer at risk of falling. Exemplary care from NH staff means that her skin is intact and her weight is stable so those two domains have been downgraded. She did get the highest score for cognition as she can't speak any more.

Yes, she is considerably worse than she was but no longer in need of CHC. HA! Go and have a look at the CHC thread under Legal and Financial, there's a very interesting video posted by Stanley PJ about how the law applies to CHC and how it's being ignored.

Good luck with your appeal.
    Peggy

4. BeckyJan

BeckyJan Registered User

Nov 28, 2005
    Derbyshire
    If the need is still there but is well managed, there should be consideration under CHC of 'a managed need is still a need'. You may have to appeal on that basis.

Not sure about mobility, but skin would be in a poor state if not managed properly. Also weight needs to be managed.

5. Battling though

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks for your reply - will do

Thanks for your reply - will do

6. Battling though

Jan 26, 2016
    Thank you for your reply - I will do this - looks like I am in for a battle