After 3 years continuing care agreement cancelled

Battling though

Jan 26, 2016
My mum has been in a care home for 5 years with dementia, three years ago she received a NHS continuing care agreement and therefore no fees were payable. Since then her condition has, as expected, steadily declined further. However, she has recently been `re-assessed` and the decision has been made to cease continuing care funding. Naturally I am bewildered as mum is now much worse than she was three years ago. Has anyone any experience or knowledge of this happening before? I am rather suspecting that this could be a funding crisis decision as I cannot understand how it could be based on her medical state, especially three years on from first being assessed as in need. Anyone out there with experience/knowledge of similar examples?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Things can change to lessen medical needs as the dementia progresses.

For instance:-

She could have obtain a high score because of risk of fall but is now immobile so can't fall.

She could have obtained a high score on behaviour but this has decreased. maybe because of her immobility.

You need to get details of the assessment.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Just a quickie as I'm on my way out but we are in the same situation. MIL now totally immobile so no longer at risk of falling. Exemplary care from NH staff means that her skin is intact and her weight is stable so those two domains have been downgraded. She did get the highest score for cognition as she can't speak any more.

Yes, she is considerably worse than she was but no longer in need of CHC. HA! Go and have a look at the CHC thread under Legal and Financial, there's a very interesting video posted by Stanley PJ about how the law applies to CHC and how it's being ignored.

Good luck with your appeal.
Peggy

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
If the need is still there but is well managed, there should be consideration under CHC of 'a managed need is still a need'. You may have to appeal on that basis.

Not sure about mobility, but skin would be in a poor state if not managed properly. Also weight needs to be managed.

Battling though

Jan 26, 2016
Thanks for your reply - will do

Things can change to lessen medical needs as the dementia progr

For instance:-

She could have obtain a high score because of risk of fall but is now immobile so can't fall.

She could have obtained a high score on behaviour but this has decreased. maybe because of her immobility.

You need to get details of the assessment.

Thanks for your reply - will do

Battling though

Jan 26, 2016
Just a quickie as I'm on my way out but we are in the same situation. MIL now totally immobile so no longer at risk of falling. Exemplary care from NH staff means that her skin is intact and her weight is stable so those two domains have been downgraded. She did get the highest score for cognition as she can't speak any more.

Yes, she is considerably worse than she was but no longer in need of CHC. HA! Go and have a look at the CHC thread under Legal and Financial, there's a very interesting video posted by Stanley PJ about how the law applies to CHC and how it's being ignored.

Good luck with your appeal.
Peggy

Thank you for your reply - I will do this - looks like I am in for a battle

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6