Advice re night incontinence

ceroc46

Jan 28, 2012
Morning all,

Mum seems to be becoming more urine incontinent at night. She has stopped doing on the carpet, just in the bed now.
I have a mattress protector and a kylie sheet, but she seems to wrap the duvet round her, and of course this is getting wet.
The local launderette must love me; I'm keeping them in business with all the duvet washes I'm giving them!

Does anyone know where I can get a waterproof duvet protector from, that does what it should, please?

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I am so sorry I can't help with that but I can give you an alternative idea.

I bought a quilt, separated it into quarters, sewed up the seams, then sewed on velcro to put it back together again.

That way when it got wet (with me it was a naughty puppy) the affected quarters would fit into the washing machine. It also dries quicker. You could do this to two quilts so you always have four sections dry for the bed and mix and match as you go.

Vesnina

Aug 25, 2013
I started using a bodysuit underware my mother cannot unbutton,
together with Tena pants...

Fortunately/unfortunately she wakes up and I take her to the bathroom.
Several times per night :rolleyes:

Last edited:

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I have duvet protectors which work, plus pillow protectors too. Don't ask me how he gets urine up to the pillows but he does!!!

I think it is from Incontinencechoice The duvet protectors are about £ 30 each but seriously well worth it.

All I have to do now is to strip the top cover off, and then wipe down the protector with a wet wipe. My memory of washing duvets is fading thank goodness.

I will try to check through my invoices to confirm that but think that is the firm. I use so many different ones I get muddled sometimes.

Jeannette

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I have looked back and it is not incontinence choice, it is Ageuk Incontinence advisors. which I used.

Although I see the other site does offer something.

However the latter are the ones where I got mine from .

Jeannette

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I would suggest she wears some very absorbent pads at night. I buy mine from Dri line - they are called Lille suprem fit maxi. They are like nappies and usually work for my Mum through the night. That will be all right if she doesn't tamper with them! I have to tell my Mum she can just "go" as she sometimes says she wants to go to the toilet. It helps that my Mum is not mobile now and couldn't get out of bed anyway. Hope this helps - if it works it will save most of the washing. I sometimes just have to change the undersheet.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Yes that was the right link thank you. Gordon wears pull up pants the most absorbent ones but he sometimes is restless, so they " leak".

Today I just had to change the fleece and kylie he lies on. Today was a good day.

Jeannette

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Has this been checked by the GP? There may be a physical problem that is causing the incontinence.

When we sleep the body tells the kidneys to produce less, but more concentrated, urine. This is why most people are not waking up two or three times during the night to go to the loo - not so much bladder control, although this does play a part, but because not so much urine is being produced in the first place to fill it up.

If you are seeing large volumes of urine and the incontinence is due to a genuinely full bladder not getting to the toilet in time, or emptying suddenly because it reaches the overflow point before waking the person up, there may be medications that can help with this.

Incontinence can also be caused by a weakening of the muscles of the area with age. A physiotherapist can often recommend pelvic muscle exercises to improve this, but it would be difficult to explain to someone with dementia.

In a man, night-time urinary problems very often point to a prostate problem, but at least you know it;s not that since women are lucky enough to not have one!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch