Advice Please

Kirsty44

Jun 11, 2014
My darling dad is currently in hospital after falling out of bed and facturing his pelvis, 4 weeks ago . Initally he was coping quite well and was discharged back to his care home. He ended up back in hospital with the week with a UTI and sepsis . He had also been struggling to swallow and as a result became severly dehydrated, this was not picked up by the home . i had to call an ambulance and have him readmitted. He has been treated with IV fluids and antibiotics for the last week with no improvemrnt. there has been a massive detioration in him His kidneys are failing and they are talking about removing active treatment and sending him back to his care home to be " managed " in the community.
After a frank discussion with his consultant she doesnt think he'll last 2 weeks.

If this is his final journey then i want to to at home with me, there is no way he's going back to the home!!!!
He's been refered to the palliative care team who will be in touch - im not sure what to expect or what support is available.
Can anyone offer some advice as i really dont know what to do for the best and am feeling totally lost.

Emmy_83

Mar 8, 2014
Yorkshire
My darling dad is currently in hospital after falling out of bed and facturing his pelvis, 4 weeks ago . Initally he was coping quite well and was discharged back to his care home. He ended up back in hospital with the week with a UTI and sepsis . He had also been struggling to swallow and as a result became severly dehydrated, this was not picked up by the home . i had to call an ambulance and have him readmitted. He has been treated with IV fluids and antibiotics for the last week with no improvemrnt. there has been a massive detioration in him His kidneys are failing and they are talking about removing active treatment and sending him back to his care home to be " managed " in the community.
After a frank discussion with his consultant she doesnt think he'll last 2 weeks.

If this is his final journey then i want to to at home with me, there is no way he's going back to the home!!!!
He's been refered to the palliative care team who will be in touch - im not sure what to expect or what support is available.
Can anyone offer some advice as i really dont know what to do for the best and am feeling totally lost.

Hi Kirsty we were going to take my dad home before they decided he was too weak to make the journey. He has remained in hospital now.

But at the time the hospital said the palliative care team would be sorted out by them at no charge. A team would come to my dad's house and help my mum to ensure he was looked after in conjunction with the district nurse and GP.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Kirsty44
I don't have experience of your situation so no advice as such - just wondering whether a local hospice may help, and I know Marie Curie nurses stay overnight to help family when someone is at end of life and at home (to be referred by GP, or hospital, I guess)
are the hospital PALS available to chat to
maybe talking with an Admiral Nurse may help you
https://www.dementiauk.org/how-we-help/admiral-nursing/
and the AS helpline operators may have some useful ideas:
0300 222 1122 can provide information, support, guidance and signposting to other appropriate organisations.
The Helpline is usually open from:
9am - 8pm Monday to Wednesday
9am - 5pm on Thursday and Friday
10am - 4pm on Saturday and Sunday
best wishes to you and your dad