Advice please

Jassac

May 6, 2019
My mum was officially diagnosed in October 2019 but we started noticing things about 18 months before.
We don't know what stage she is at, she looks at photos but doesn't recognise any one in them. She confuses her own dad with my dad, they have both passed away. Her dad passed away in 1964 and my dad her husband passed away in 2010.
She asks why none of her family visit, she is the only left all her brothers and sisters and parents have died.
She doesn't remember that we live in a bungalow and have done for the last 12 years, she still thinks she lives in a house and keeps going on about going upstairs and downstairs.
She doesn't remember when she has eaten.
She cannot stand unaided and walks or rather shuffles with a walker, outside she has a wheelchair.
She keeps having episodes where she doesn't get up and is sick but cannot remember anything about them before she was diagnosed she would get up in a morning and then collapse. The first time it happened called an ambulance but they soon sent her home after saying she had indigestion. This kept happening on a monthly basis, so we decided we wouldn't send for the ambulance and we used to get her back into the bed ourselves, sometimes it took 3 hours.
She will shuffle into the kitchen and say she is making tea but she has no clue how to turn the kettle on.
We do not leave her alone now.
Just wanted to know what stage she might be at.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Jassac, welcome to the forum. I hope you find this to be a friendly and supportive place.

The stages of dementia tend to be fluid and overlap so it's difficult to be definitive, although I know many people want to know.

I wonder if you may find any local support services to be of some use. You can do a post code check to see what's available to you by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

The full list of the very informative Factsheets can be found with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. The stages of dementia are also mentioned.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.