Advice please

sheelz

Sep 1, 2014
Hi. My mum has been in a care home for 12 months, her medication has been the same for years, but last week mum wasn't feeling too good - she was sick twice so they decided to keep her on a dry diet (just toast)and sips of water and also to get the doctor to check her over which she did last Friday and (unknown to us til today)the dr told the care home senior to stop giving her the antidepressants. My mum seems to have gone downhill since she stopped having the antidepressants - very very sleepy, not saying much and not interested in the small amount of things she was "interested" in before. My question to anyone is - I didn't think you could 'just stop taking' antidepressants as there are side effects (which she looks like she is experiencing), and also can they do this without consulting a family member ? thanks in advance.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I think it would depend on the medication. If you are concerned about what looks like a sudden downturn in your mum's condition, I would ask for the GP to see her again and re-evaluate her, and see if you can talk to the GP about it, or to the nursing home management.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Talking Point mobile app