advice needed!


Registered User
Dec 9, 2004
Hi all,

I'm in the midst of trying to work out what to do in regard to mums care. Shes getting to the point where she cannot cope on her own in her house any longer and I dont know what to do for the best.

What I really want is to have her live with me. The only trouble is my house is small, 3 bedrooms and as i have 4 children there just isnt the room! Were cramped, but happily cosy, and i really dont want to move. Mums house is rented and she has no savings, so any move from her house will be supported by the local autority.

Just wondering if anyone knew if there was any type of grant that can be made by the council for me to extend to build her a room? We cant possibly borrow more so this would be the only way of accomodating her without moving. And to move to anywhere cheep enough to buy a big enough house would take her far away from friends and family. Mine too, and i have enough trouble coping without that support network.

Just a thought anyway, hope everone is well.


Registered User
Nov 22, 2004
Hi, not sure that I am going to be of much help, but I really think you should speak to your local council. I know a woman who was remortgaging her house so that she can change one of their bedrooms into some special room that had sensitive sensors in it for her autistic daughter, it was going to cost about £30,000 and the carer (from the council) said that this is something the council will pay for or will make a substantial contribution towards it. It is worth a try. I know the circumstances are different but they might be able to help.
Good luck with everything, take care