Advanced care directive

Lostinthisdesert

Apr 21, 2023
I would find it really useful if people could share their experiences with ACD or living wills. I imagine some PWD may have had the foresight to do this ahead of time. Did it help?
MyOH does not have one and although I think I know his wishes pre dementia I have doubts sometimes. I want to do one for myself in case I get the condition and have read the guidance but will it be followed? And if someone deems I have capacity if I say something different later in life, what then?
I am certain that I do not want anything done to prolong my life if I lose mental capacity. I just wish I could set this in stone! I am also curious to know many carers have made ACDs for themselves

I

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I would find it really useful if people could share their experiences with ACD or living wills. I imagine some PWD may have had the foresight to do this ahead of time. Did it help?
MyOH does not have one and although I think I know his wishes pre dementia I have doubts sometimes. I want to do one for myself in case I get the condition and have read the guidance but will it be followed? And if someone deems I have capacity if I say something different later in life, what then?
I am certain that I do not want anything done to prolong my life if I lose mental capacity. I just wish I could set this in stone! I am also curious to know many carers have made ACDs for themselves

I
I live in Australia so my experience will be different to what you find locally.

Initially I used a website called www.myvalues.org.au which I think you could use too as it helps you sort out what you want. There is no charge and is not confrontational in any way.

I completed the information on line, printed it off and made an appointment with a unit funded by our local hospital which helps people through the process. It is staffed by people who have experience in intensive care or aged care. The first appointment was a discussion with a gentleman who went through my directive bit by bit until it was what I wanted.. I had to get my deciders to sign that they agreed to act for me and then the whole document was copied and sent off to our GP, our hospital and my deciders.

It was much easier than I thought it was going to be, didn’t cost me anything and I have the reassurance that my deciders (my children) won’t have to worry or feel guilty about whatever
happens.

Well done for doing this. I feel so confident that my loved ones won’t have to go through the horrors of what to with mum. They have their copies and understand that I won’t be one to want to stick around for too long.

Lostinthisdesert

Apr 21, 2023
I live in Australia so my experience will be different to what you find locally.

Initially I used a website called www.myvalues.org.au which I think you could use too as it helps you sort out what you want. There is no charge and is not confrontational in any way.

I completed the information on line, printed it off and made an appointment with a unit funded by our local hospital which helps people through the process. It is staffed by people who have experience in intensive care or aged care. The first appointment was a discussion with a gentleman who went through my directive bit by bit until it was what I wanted.. I had to get my deciders to sign that they agreed to act for me and then the whole document was copied and sent off to our GP, our hospital and my deciders.

It was much easier than I thought it was going to be, didn’t cost me anything and I have the reassurance that my deciders (my children) won’t have to worry or feel guilty about whatever
happens.

Well done for doing this. I feel so confident that my loved ones won’t have to go through the horrors of what to with mum. They have their copies and understand that I won’t be one to want to stick around for too long.
Thank you! I have written one up but now need a professional to check it and advise me. Not sure how it works here in the UK