How to convince my mum with mixed dementia that she should have her cataract operation?

GeorgieW

Mar 9, 2024
I have read this thread with interest as my 95 year old mum has cataracts in both eyes. Sometimes she says she can't read the subtitles on TV (she has hearing aids), but other times she reads the subtitles out loud. So I'm thinking it's a processing problem as to whether she can/can't read subtitles at any given moment. Mum also has glasses which she often doesn't wear as she says she can see ok. I'd suggested a few years ago that mum have a cataract operation but the waiting list was around 7 months and mum didn't seem particularly bothered. I have felt guilty at not pursuing it, thinking it might give her a better quality of life, but after reading this thread, I don't think the operation would benefit her. Thank you everyone for posting your experiences and information.

I have exactly the same! some days she can read fine and then others she can't. I did wonder if it was her glasses but this "processing" thing makes sense. She fronts so well that it's hard to tell anything is wrong. I am so new on this journey that I didn't realise it was a recognised thing.

Crownlyn

Apr 9, 2022
Has the option of local anaesthetic with sedation been considered? My mum had both cataracts done this way. With sedation the patient remains conscious (unless they doze off!) and is more relaxed than with local anaesthetic alone. Mum had sedation because she has a tremor and is prone to shaking if she tries too hard to remain still.
It was a bit tricky deciding when it came to the second op, because by then Mum's dementia had advanced to the point where they might've had to give her a general anaesthetic once they got her into surgery if she couldn't lie still. In the end she didn't need a GA and the operation appears successful.
Hi Richard
No this has not been mentioned to us. I am waiting on a new appointment to come through so I will ask the question.
I'm also a bit concerned on the aftercare in case she removes the dressing or scratches her eye but to be able to read again would be lovely.
Thank you for your message.