Activities for early onset dementia

LFC95

Oct 2, 2023
Hello,

My mum has been diagnosed with early onset dementia (62). I really want her to stay socially active, healthy and engaged. Does anyone know where I can find different activities (art classes, fitness, etc.) for her in her local area? She won’t go to the activities with the older generation…

Thank you!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello LFC95 and welcome, but sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis at such an early age. When my mum was first diagnosed she was a little bit older than your mum and at first refused to go to a local day center as "I don't want to be with a load of old people". However I talked her into going to take a look - "just to see what it's like" - and she ended up attending there for a few years. There was a range of ages and they did various activities and also provided lunch and mum looked forward to going. Your mum's local authority will be able to provide details of activities that are available so worth a look on their website or give their adult social care team a call.

This link is helpful for finding a variety of local activities/groups:

Age UK also provide a range of activities for over 50's:

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/in-your-area/social-activities/

It might also be worth a look to see if your mum's local area has a Facebook group which provides details of activities too. Help this helps, this is a friendly and supportive place so others may be along too with other suggestions.

LFC95

Oct 2, 2023
Hello @Louise7 - thank you for your response. I find that the information out there is very fragmented and difficult to find. Do you? It must be so hard for people living by themselves / without support.

RobinBird31

Oct 5, 2023
Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis... My mum was diagnosed in her fifties and I had similar struggles early on. It's worth giving the Alzheimer's Society support line a ring and see if they can find anything for you, but I would suggest giving Dementia UK a try too.

Sometimes councils and local charities offer activity groups for adults with other disabilities (not just dementia) which you could get your mum involved in if age was an issue for her - I get it! Also, depending on how far along she is or if she would be comfortable going, you could always find some groups in the local area (gardening, painting, choir etc) that aren't for people with dementia... You could then ring the coordinator, explain your mum's situation, and I'd hope that would mean the coordinator would be more accomodating with your mum. That's something I really wish I had thought to do back when my mum could still do more. Also might be worth seeing if there's a young-onset group in your area, you can usually find this through FB.

Another thing, if you haven't already, reach out to the social services in your area and let them know about your mum. They'll probably carry out a care assessment to see what support your mum needs at this stage. In my area, they helped us find some relevant groups in the local area but waiting lists can be long.

I hope you're OK. Remember even posting this question shows how much you care about your mum and you're doing everything you can - sometimes the services just aren't there and it's not our fault. There's still a lot of happy and fun moments to be had out there!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Louise7 - thank you for your response. I find that the information out there is very fragmented and difficult to find. Do you? It must be so hard for people living by themselves / without support.
Hello @LFC95 sorry I missed your reply. I agree that it can be very difficult to find information, and help and support, and often it is a 'postcode lottery' with services better in some areas than others and often long waiting lists. I hope that you manage to find some activities that suit your mum, let us know how you get on.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @LFC95, check out your local Ramblers group. Many have walking for health groups where the walks are shorter and end at a café. My group is very friendly and we have several members in the early stages of dementia.

Jake's Nan

Aug 12, 2021
Hello,

My mum has been diagnosed with early onset dementia (62). I really want her to stay socially active, healthy and engaged. Does anyone know where I can find different activities (art classes, fitness, etc.) for her in her local area? She won’t go to the activities with the older generation…

Thank you!
Hi, my brother (60) diagnosed 2 years ago also not keen on activities which seem more for older people. We live in a village and have found a few things but always fair distance away. I asked at local library and they had a folder with info sheets in it provided by groups/clubs but I agree it is difficult to really get help.

Peter58

Aug 17, 2022
I agree it’s difficult. When my wife was diagnosed 2 years ago aged 60 the consultant was quite blunt and said that there is very little support out there for young onset dementia. He was right, but we have found a bit to do. A pottery class were happy for her to go there and they kept a special eye out for her, and we’ve found a group but it’s an hours drive each way to get there. We live in the country too and I think this increases the sense of isolation.